What is the curl of the electric field produced by changing magnetic flux?

In summary, the conversation discusses the nonconservative nature of the electric field produced by changing magnetic flux. The homework statement mentions that the book does not provide an explanation for this phenomenon. The attempt at a solution includes questions about the curl of a conservative field and the curl of the electric field when produced by a time-varying magnetic field, suggesting the use of vector calculus and Maxwell's equations. The level of knowledge required for this conversation is not specified.
Xubi

Homework Statement

My book says that the electric field produced by changing magnetic flux is nonconservative in nature but it doesn't give any explanation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Xubi said:

Homework Statement

My book says that the electric field produced by changing magnetic flux is nonconservative in nature but it doesn't give any explanation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. If field F is conservative, what is the curl of F?

2. So if E is present due to time varying B field, i.e. dB/dt is not zero, what is the curl of E? Look up the differential form of Faraday's Law (i.e. one of Maxwell equation).

Please note that your question gave no clear indication of your level of knowledge or what you know. So I have to assume that you know (i) vector calculus and (ii) Maxwell equation.

Otherwise, you should have been very clear on what book you are referring to and what level this is at.

Zz.

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it. This can be done by moving a magnet near a conductor or by changing the current in a nearby conductor.

2. What is Faraday's law of induction?

Faraday's law of induction states that the magnitude of the induced voltage in a circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit.

3. How is electromagnetic induction used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic induction is used in many everyday devices such as generators, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in wireless charging technology for smartphones and other electronic devices.

4. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism in electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction demonstrates the intimate relationship between electricity and magnetism. It shows that a changing magnetic field can create an electric current and a changing electric current can create a magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of electromagnetic induction in the scientific field?

Electromagnetic induction has numerous practical applications in the scientific field, such as in the creation of particle accelerators, magnetic levitation trains, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It is also used in experiments to study the principles of electromagnetism and to generate electricity from renewable sources such as wind and hydro power.