Calculating Magnetic Flux Change in Moving Coil Experiment

In summary: Yes, that is right. What is the value of that integral?And why did you skip the ##N##, the number of turns in the coil?In summary, The change in magnetic flux when a coil is moved through an angle of 1 degree can be calculated using the formula ΔΦ = ΔBAcosθ, where ΔΦ is the change in magnetic flux, B is the magnetic flux density, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and θ is the angle through which the coil is moved. In this case, the examiner's calculation of ΔΦ using the formula BAcos(90-1) is equivalent to the original calculation using BA(cos89-cos90). However, a more rigorous method
Faiq

Homework Statement

We have a coil with cross-sectional area of 2.4m^2.
Magnetic flux density is of 0.29T
Number of turns are 1.

Initially the coil is parallel to magnetic field lines. (Coil's normal vector is perpendicular to field vector)

Calculate the change in magnetic flux when coil is moved through an angle of 1 degrees

Homework Equations

Δ[/B]Φ = ΔBAcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt
ΔΦ = ΔBAcosθ
ΔΦ = BA Δcosθ
ΔΦ = BA (cos 89 - cos 90)
Which leads to a correct answer

Examiner attempt
ΔΦ = ΔBAcosθ
ΔΦ = BA Δcosθ
ΔΦ = BA cos (90-1) How do they do this?

Another question inquired me to calculate the change of flux when the change in θ is from 0 to 90. I used the normal way of multiplying BA by (cos 90 - cos 0). However, the examiner stated that this is simplified treatment, a rigorous method would involve averaging of cos θ leading to a factor of 1/sqrt2.
How is this factor achieved? I tried to calculate the mean value of cos θ using integration but the answer was different.

Physics news on Phys.org
Faiq said:
ΔΦ = BA (cos 89 - cos 90)
Faiq said:
ΔΦ = BA cos (90-1) How do they do this?
To me both answers look the same: cos(89) because of the value of cos(90) :smile: You sure your calculator is on degrees and not on radians ?
And how do they do it ? Probably they start with making a (top view) sketch !

Faiq said:
Another question inquired me to calculate the change of flux when the change in θ is from 0 to 90. I used the normal way of multiplying BA by (cos 90 - cos 0). However, the examiner stated that this is simplified treatment, a rigorous method would involve averaging of cos θ leading to a factor of 1/sqrt2.
There must be a misunderstanding there. Do you have the full litteral text of thte question that was asked you ?

No I meant, if I wanted to calculate the change in a value of a function at the interval ##a## and ##b##, I will calculate ##f(b)-f(a) \neq f(b-a)##. But in the provided example taking ##cos(90-1)## gave the answer. How was that possible?

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 348
In the 89 degree case the change in flux was asked for. That is a simple difference.
In exercise 6 they explicitly ask for an average emf. Do you have a relationship (formula, expression) that links ##\Phi## to the emf ?

BvU said:
In the 89 degree case the change in flux was asked for. That is a simple difference.
In exercise 6 they explicitly ask for an average emf. Do you have a relationship (formula, expression) that links ##\Phi## to the emf ?
##Φ=\frac{-dV}{dt}=\frac{BANcos\theta}{\delta t} ##

Faiq said:
##Φ=\frac{-dV}{dt}=\frac{BANcos\theta}{\delta t} ##
Are you sure?
As per Faraday's law, what is the derivative of what?

Oh sorry my bad
##V=N\frac{-dΦ}{dt}=\frac{\delta BANcos\theta}{\delta t} ##[/QUOTE]

Don't know why you switch to a partial derivative ?
Write ##\theta## as a function of ##t## and you can take the average of V for a quarter turn in 0.14 s: $$<V> = {1\over 0.14}\int_0^{0.14 s} V\,dt$$

And how do I write theta as a function of t?
I tried 0.14/90 t = theta but ended up getting the wrong answer

You may assume it turns with a constant angular speed from ##\pi\over4## to ##0## in 0.14 seconds

[edit] sorry,: yes, that should be ##\pi\over 2##.

Check your dimensions: on the left you have s2/degree and on the right an angle in degrees!

Last edited:
<Post deleted>

Last edited:
BvU said:
You may assume it turns with a constant angular speed from ##\pi\over4## to ##0## in 0.14 seconds

Check your dimensions: on the left you have s2/degree and on the right an angle in degrees!
Don't you mean pi/2? The rotation is of 0 to 90 degrees.

Is this correct?
$$ <V> = \frac{0.0123}{0.14}\int^{0.14}_0 \cos{\frac{90}{0.14}t}~ dt $$

Last edited:

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field can generate an electric current in a conductor.

How does electromagnetic induction work?

When a conductor, such as a wire, is moved through a magnetic field or a magnetic field is changed, a voltage is induced in the conductor. This voltage can then be used to create an electric current.

What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism in electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction demonstrates the connection between electricity and magnetism. A changing magnetic field can create an electric field, and an electric current can create a magnetic field. This relationship is known as electromagnetism.

What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, including power generation in electric generators, induction heating in stovetops and induction cookware, and wireless charging in devices like smartphones and electric toothbrushes.

What are the laws and principles that govern electromagnetic induction?

The laws of electromagnetic induction were discovered by Michael Faraday and Joseph Henry in the early 19th century. These laws state that the magnitude of the induced voltage is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field and the number of turns in the conductor. Additionally, the direction of the induced current is determined by the direction of the change in the magnetic field.