How Is Laser Beam Intensity Calculated?

In summary, the problem is asking us to calculate the intensity of a focused helium-neon laser with a beam power of 3.50 mW and a wavelength of 633 nm. The beam is focused by a lens to a circular spot with an effective diameter of 2.00 wavelengths. The correct formula for intensity in this case is P/A, where A is the area of the effective circle, which can be calculated using the formula PA/4πr^2. Therefore, the intensity of the focused beam can be found by dividing the power by the surface area of the effective circle.
ganondorf29

Homework Statement

A helium-neon laser of the type often found in physics laboratories has a beam power of 3.50 mW at a wavelength of 633 nm. The beam is focused by a lens to a circular spot whose effective diameter may be taken to be equal to 2.00 wavelengths. Calculate the intensity of the focused beam.

Homework Equations

[tex]

I = P / 4\pi r^2

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]

I = P / 4\pi r^2

[/tex]

P = 3.50mW
I don't know what the radius is. From the problem, I used 633nm as the radius because the diameter = 2*(633nm), I used 633nm as the radius, but after using that value the answer is wrong. If someone can tell me the radius, I think I could get this problem. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ganondorf29! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)
ganondorf29 said:
A helium-neon laser of the type often found in physics laboratories has a beam power of 3.50 mW at a wavelength of 633 nm. The beam is focused by a lens to a circular spot whose effective diameter may be taken to be equal to 2.00 wavelengths. Calculate the intensity of the focused beam.

I = P / 4\pi r^2

No, that's the wrong formula …

as you can see, it's the total power divided by the surface area of a whole sphere of radius r …

it applies when the beam is all-round, so the intensity is P/4πr2 , and the power through an area A (at distance r) is PA/4πr2.

In this case, the total power is confined to the beam, and it all goes through the "effective circle", so the appropriate formula for intensity is … ? :smile:

!

The radius in this case would be half of the diameter, so it would be 633nm/2 = 316.5nm.

Therefore, the intensity of the focused beam would be:

I = 3.50mW / (4 * pi * (316.5nm)^2) = 1.23 mW/nm^2

This is a relatively high intensity, which is expected for a laser beam. It is important to note that this calculation assumes that the beam is perfectly focused and there is no loss of power due to scattering or other factors. In a real laboratory setting, the actual intensity may be slightly lower.

1. What is electromagnetic intensity?

Electromagnetic intensity, also known as electromagnetic field strength, is a measure of the strength of an electromagnetic field at a given point in space. It is a vector quantity that describes the magnitude and direction of the electric and magnetic fields that make up an electromagnetic wave.

2. How is electromagnetic intensity measured?

Electromagnetic intensity is typically measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) or amperes per meter (A/m). These measurements can be taken using specialized equipment such as an electromagnetic field meter.

3. What factors affect electromagnetic intensity?

The intensity of an electromagnetic field can be affected by a variety of factors, including the distance from the source of the field, the frequency of the electromagnetic wave, and the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling.

4. What are the potential health effects of exposure to high levels of electromagnetic intensity?

There is ongoing research into the potential health effects of exposure to high levels of electromagnetic intensity. Some studies have suggested a possible link between exposure to electromagnetic fields and certain health conditions, but further research is needed to fully understand the potential risks.

5. How is electromagnetic intensity used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic intensity is used in a variety of ways in our everyday lives. It is used in technologies such as radios, televisions, and cell phones to transmit information wirelessly. It is also used in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines, and in industrial applications such as welding and metal detection.