1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Intensity

1. Apr 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A helium-neon laser of the type often found in physics laboratories has a beam power of 3.50 mW at a wavelength of 633 nm. The beam is focused by a lens to a circular spot whose effective diameter may be taken to be equal to 2.00 wavelengths. Calculate the intensity of the focused beam.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]

I = P / 4\pi r^2

[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]

I = P / 4\pi r^2

[/tex]

P = 3.50mW
    I don't know what the radius is. From the problem, I used 633nm as the radius because the diameter = 2*(633nm), I used 633nm as the radius, but after using that value the answer is wrong. If someone can tell me the radius, I think I could get this problem. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ganondorf29! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)
    No, that's the wrong formula …

as you can see, it's the total power divided by the surface area of a whole sphere of radius r …

it applies when the beam is all-round, so the intensity is P/4πr2 , and the power through an area A (at distance r) is PA/4πr2.

In this case, the total power is confined to the beam, and it all goes through the "effective circle", so the appropriate formula for intensity is … ? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook