1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic levitation

1. Aug 23, 2007 #1
    hi,
    i wanna start some "researches" about electromagnetic levitation,and well i came here to ask if anyone could help me....anything...books,links....
    thnk u

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might have to give us a few more clues, 11year old's school science project, final year engineering project, PhD, industrial company? Your level of knowldege, your budget, timescale?
    But start here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation

4. Aug 23, 2007 #3
    yea ur right sorry,well its more of a final year engineering project,except its my first year at uni and i study physic...bout the timescal...unlimited...budget...unlimited too

thnx

5. Aug 23, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Our engineering dept always had a cool demo of a bar made of (I think) alternate rings of steel and copper hanging inside some coils, then made to shoot forward through a block of wood. You just need to vary the field strenght/direction in the coils in the right order. You can do something similair to float a metal plate on coils and move it backward and forward.

I think it's called a Gauss gun - I might have a go at building this unpowered version http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/magnets/gauss.html

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  6. Aug 23, 2007 #5
    See this thread

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?