Electromagnetic mass acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of guass guns, coil guns, and em mass accelerators. The speaker is designing a system that utilizes 4 or 5 electrolytic capacitors, a dual stage coil with ir photo gates, and an IGBT switch to pulse the energy from the capacitors. The main issue with these devices is their overall efficiency, with 8% being the highest recorded. The speaker is also shielding the coil with an iron tube. Suggestions for improving efficiency include using low ESR capacitors and a mechanical knife switch, as well as reducing the air gap between the projectile and external iron shield.
oldunion
some of you may have heard of a guass gun, coil gun, or em mass accelerator. if not google has you covered. I am designing a system which will utilize 4 or 5 electrolytic capacitors rated for 400v per cap, a dual stage coil with ir photo gates, and some other things.

The principle is that a high voltage is discharged into a coil of copper wire (solenoid) which creates a strong magnetic field inside the coil. This in turn can launch a projectile sitting inside this coil.

The major problem with these devices is overal efficiency, 8% is the most I've ever heard of. I will be using an IGBT switch, which is the most efficient means of pulsing the energy from the capacitors.

I am also shielding the coil with a silencer looking tube of iron.

Does anyone else know of a way to further the efficiency in such a scenario

Physics news on Phys.org
yep, FBI will be very keen to be informed about it ;)

oldunion said:
some of you may have heard of a guass gun, coil gun, or em mass accelerator. if not google has you covered. I am designing a system which will utilize 4 or 5 electrolytic capacitors rated for 400v per cap, a dual stage coil with ir photo gates, and some other things.

The principle is that a high voltage is discharged into a coil of copper wire (solenoid) which creates a strong magnetic field inside the coil. This in turn can launch a projectile sitting inside this coil.

The major problem with these devices is overal efficiency, 8% is the most I've ever heard of. I will be using an IGBT switch, which is the most efficient means of pulsing the energy from the capacitors.

I am also shielding the coil with a silencer looking tube of iron.

Does anyone else know of a way to further the efficiency in such a scenario

Google finds

http://www.oz.net/~coilgun/mark2/home.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
pervect said:
Google finds

http://www.oz.net/~coilgun/mark2/home.htm

well the fbi can come kick in my door if they want, but considering how the local sports authority is selling bb guns at higher velocity than what i could make, they have better things to do.

I have already read half of the oznet. I am more or less into theory now, and I am nearly to the point of being able to pose an educated question to my physics professor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your implication is that the resistance of the switch device is the culprit. If so, replace the semiconductor with a mechanical knife switch. Not fancy, byt effectively 'no' resistance.
Your problem may be the resistance of the capacitors.
Look for low ESR (Equivalent series resistance) capacitors.
Try aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

joe tomei said:
Your implication is that the resistance of the switch device is the culprit. If so, replace the semiconductor with a mechanical knife switch. Not fancy, byt effectively 'no' resistance.
Your problem may be the resistance of the capacitors.
Look for low ESR (Equivalent series resistance) capacitors.
Try aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

the internal gate bipolar transistor (igbt) is the most efficient switch they have for this application. Electrolytic capacitors will be used. i don't imply to know what the cause for poor efficiency is, but since youve sprung it on me, i would say that most efficiency is lost due to the air gap between the projectile and the external iron shield (which covers the coil) at the muzzle. So this would indicate that i believe the primary loss of efficiency has to do with overall reluctance of the em field.

What is electromagnetic mass acceleration?

Electromagnetic mass acceleration is the process of accelerating a mass using electromagnetic forces. This can be achieved through various methods, such as using an electromagnetic field or radiation pressure.

How does electromagnetic mass acceleration work?

Electromagnetic mass acceleration works by utilizing the principle that a charged particle moving through a magnetic or electric field will experience a force that causes it to accelerate. By controlling the direction and strength of the field, the mass can be accelerated in a desired direction.

What are the applications of electromagnetic mass acceleration?

Electromagnetic mass acceleration has a wide range of applications, such as in particle accelerators, space propulsion systems, and electromagnetic launchers. It is also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in industry for materials processing.

What are the advantages of electromagnetic mass acceleration?

One of the main advantages of electromagnetic mass acceleration is that it can achieve high speeds without the need for physical contact or moving parts, making it a more efficient and reliable method of acceleration. It also allows for precise control and manipulation of the accelerated mass.

What are the potential challenges or limitations of electromagnetic mass acceleration?

Some potential challenges of electromagnetic mass acceleration include the high energy requirements and potential safety hazards associated with strong electromagnetic fields. It can also be a complex and expensive technology to develop and implement. Additionally, there may be limitations in terms of the maximum achievable acceleration and the size or shape of the accelerated mass.