Can prisms separate out radio and gamma rays?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and its interaction with materials. It is noted that while all EM waves are essentially the same, the materials they encounter can affect their behavior. Prisms are only effective in separating out visible and near-infrared light, while substances can behave differently with other frequencies. Gamma rays, being high energy, can pass through substances with minimal deviation.
revv
EM.png
EM.png

I have a question about electromagnetic radiation, I drew this to better explain what I am trying to understand hopefully it makes some sense but what I was wondering is this... if you take two prism and let the light of the sun enter the prisms like in the picture I drew will they both have radio / gamma rays at the ends of there spectrums?

I think the answer is yes they do? If so could you "Stack" some of the light on top of each other?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Sun emits radiation across a wide range of the spectrum and a small proportion of it includes radio and gamma rays (a very very small proportion of it is gamma rays. Almost zero). However a prism does not separate out anything but the visible and near-infrared range. Beyond that the radiation is either absorbed or passes through with little deviation.

Likes davenn
Ok thank you.

Drakkith said:
However a prism does not separate out anything but the visible and near-infrared range
We all get told that EM waves of all frequencies are basically the same. This is true but the materials they encounter are not the same. They do not behave the same way for all EM frequencies - which can be confusing. Glass and a few other substances happen to have (were selected for their uses because they have) similar behaviour with a limited range of EM frequencies. They do not absorb them (much) and the speed of light (related to refractive index) is different over the optical range. That allows us to make prisms etc for optical use. At other frequencies, those same substances will absorb the waves. Gamma rays are so high energy that they mostly pass almost straight through a substance, just occasionally making contact with a nucleus. When they do, they can serious damage to the atoms, even causing transmutation of an atom.

Likes plasmon_shmasmon

What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a type of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. It consists of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that travel through space at the speed of light.

What are the different types of electromagnetic radiation?

The different types of electromagnetic radiation include radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type has a different wavelength and energy level.

How is electromagnetic radiation produced?

Electromagnetic radiation is produced by accelerating electric charges. This can happen naturally, such as in the case of lightning, or artificially, such as in the production of radio waves for communication.

What are the practical applications of electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation has many practical applications, including communication (radio waves), cooking (microwaves), thermal imaging (infrared radiation), and medical imaging (X-rays). It also plays a crucial role in our ability to see visible light.

What are the potential risks of electromagnetic radiation?

Exposure to high levels of electromagnetic radiation can have harmful effects on living organisms, including damaging cells and causing burns. However, the levels of electromagnetic radiation emitted by most everyday devices and technologies are not considered to be harmful to humans.