1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Radiation

1. Oct 26, 2006 #1
    The energy (in joules) of an electron energy level in the Bohr atom is given by the expression: [tex]E_{n}[/tex]= -2.179 x [tex]10^-18/n^2 J[/tex]where n is the principal quantum number for the energy level. What is the frequency in Hz of the electromagnetic radiation absorbed when an electron is raised up from level with n = 4 to that with n = 9?

I'm unsure of the the formula to use, or even the first step. Any ideas??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2006 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First use your formula to calculate the energy difference between the two levels. Second, relate that to frequency. Look in your book for the formula giving energy of a photon (hint: it involves Planck's constant). You can show us what you get if you still have questions.

4. Oct 26, 2006 #3
    use the equation [tex] \Delta E = R_{H}^{*} (\frac{1}{n_{f}^{2}} - \frac{1}{n_{i}^{2}}) = hv [/tex]

5. Oct 26, 2006 #4
    Ok, so I plugged both of the numbers (4 and 9) into the equation. Then I subtracted answer #1 from answer #2. Then I divided this number by h (6.626E-34). Am I doing this correctly?

6. Oct 26, 2006 #5

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, exactly.

7. Oct 27, 2006 #6
    this is great!, I could learn something here....

8. Oct 27, 2006 #7
    Great I got the answer, thanks for all the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?