How Does Electromagnetic Radiation Work?

In summary, electromagnetic radiation can be learned overnight with a book and understanding Maxwell's Equations. However, it is a complex topic that takes years to fully grasp, even for experts. Special relativity and quantum electrodynamics are also important components to understanding E&M.
gelf
i need to know everything about electromagnetic radiation

Physics news on Phys.org
there's not much to it. you can get a book and learn it overnight. :uhh: all you need are Maxwell's Equations (there are only four of them) and you have a complete description of E&M.

Last edited:
gelf said:
i need to know everything about electromagnetic radiation
:bugeye:

I've been studying e/m radiation in various contexts for nearly ten years and I am still learning.

Claude.

there's not much to it
RBJ, I hope you're not including QED in this remark.

Mentz114 said:
RBJ, I hope you're not including QED in this remark.

that and SR to boot.

it's all easy.

it's all easy.

Ah, if only I known that when I started.

Gelf, get a book. Even R B-J can't explain everything about E&M in this thread.

What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy that is all around us. It is made up of electric and magnetic fields that travel through space at the speed of light.

How is electromagnetic radiation produced?

Electromagnetic radiation is produced by accelerating charged particles. This can happen naturally, such as in the form of sunlight or lightning, or it can be man-made, such as with radio waves or x-rays.

What are the different types of electromagnetic radiation?

The electromagnetic spectrum includes a wide range of radiation, from low energy radio waves to high energy gamma rays. This includes visible light, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, microwaves, and more.

What are the effects of electromagnetic radiation on humans?

Some forms of electromagnetic radiation, such as UV rays and x-rays, can be harmful to human health. However, most forms of radiation, such as visible light and radio waves, are not harmful at typical exposure levels.

How is electromagnetic radiation used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic radiation has numerous practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in communication technologies, such as cell phones and radios, as well as in medical imaging, cooking, and generating electricity.