Electromagnetic radiation

• Thread starter Froglet
  • Start date
Froglet
I recently read an article online stating that electromagnetic radiation is 'a form of energy emitted and absorbed by charged particles'.

This isn't always correct, is it? I mean, I know that charged particles that are accelerating can emit bremsstrahlung and synchrotron radiation, but my own body will emit thermal infra-red, and I'm not made up of charged particles. Also, as I understand it, an atom can emit or absorb e-m radiation simply by electron transitions between energy levels; the atom is still neutral (although it could be in an excited state.)

Am I correct, or hopelessly confused?

Thanks,

Paul.

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi Paul! :smile:
I recently read an article online stating that electromagnetic radiation is 'a form of energy emitted and absorbed by charged particles'.

… an atom can emit or absorb e-m radiation simply by electron transitions between energy levels

but that is emission by charged particles, isn't it? :confused:

Froglet
Hi Paul! :smile:

but that is emission by charged particles, isn't it? :confused:

:rofl: Yes, you're right of course...brain-freeze moment on my part! No further replies necessary!

gomunkul51
Basically charges affects other charge solely via EMF (photons).

Roman.

Khashishi
Science Advisor
Electromagnetic radiation also comes from annihilation of particles, irregardless of charge. I suppose an uncharged black hole also emits EM radiation.

gomunkul51
In the annihilation of particles charge is conserved and as far as I know Electromagnetic radiation is still created by Charge (electrons and/or quarks). In a black EM radiation is, as far as I know, created by Charges and escapes the event horizon due to virtual charged particle annihilation...

Cheers.

Roman.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
In the case of thermal radiation from your own body, it would mostly be a result of internal vibrations in polar molecules, such as H2O.

Suggested for: Electromagnetic radiation

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies