1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic rail gun

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electromagnetic rail gun can fire a projectile using a magnetic field and an electric current. Consider two parallel conducting rails, separated by 0.575 m, which run north and south. A 49.0-g conducting rod is placed across the tracks and a battery is connected between the tracks, with its positive terminal connected to the east track. A magnetic field of magnitude 0.750 T is directed perpendicular to the plane of the rails and rod. A current of 2.00 A passes through the rod.

If there is no friction between the rails and the rod, how fast is the rod moving after it has traveled 8.00 m down the rails? What direction is the force on the rod?

2. Relevant equations

F = qVxB (where V and B are vectors)
    F = I LxB
    a = ILB / m

3. The attempt at a solution

a= (2.0 A)(0.575m)(0.750T)
    a = 0.8625 m/s

I've drawn the picture and can determine (see) that the force in in the North direction. So I just need help figuring out the acceleration. I think there must be some cross products but don't really understand how to do that.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Didn't you already calculate the acceleration? The unit should be m/s^2, not m/s.
  4. Mar 12, 2010 #3
    Sorry, I got confused.

So then to answer the actual question I multiply 0.8625 by 8.0 meters

(0.8625)(8.0) = 6.9 m/s^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook