Exploring the Interactions between Electromagnetic Spectrum and Living Organisms

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's interest in studying the electromagnetic spectrum and its interaction with living things. They asked for advice on what courses to take and if it is possible to do research in this area after completing their post-graduation in physics. The response mentioned the wide range of the EM spectrum and the need to narrow down interests. It also suggested that the field of research would most likely be in medicine or biophysics and that information on this topic can be found as part of a broader subject. It is also mentioned that post-grad research in this area is possible, but the speaker should be aware that a lot of work has already been done and they should do some research on their own.
vinzie
Hi,

I would like to do more studies and research in electromagnetic spectrum. And I am interested very much in these waves and it's interaction with human or living things or matter. So please provide me with the information about what kind of courses I should take. I will complete my post graduation in physics this 2014 march. Can I do research in these areas? Please guide me.

Thank You!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The EM spectrum is very wide ... and so are the effect. "Living things" is a very broad range too.
Therefore you will almost certainly have to narrow your interests at some stage. Since you are a senior undergrad next year, you should know this right?

The field would most likely be medicine, or biophysics related.
The information you are after will be included as part of a broader subject.

Post-grad research on the effects of EM radiation on living things can be done - you will have to ask at your grad school. You shuld realize that a very large amount of work has already been done - you should have a look around.

What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all types of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. It is the way in which electromagnetic energy travels through space.

What are the properties of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have many properties, including the speed of light, wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. They also have the ability to travel through a vacuum, which means they do not require a medium to propagate.

How is the electromagnetic spectrum used in everyday life?

The electromagnetic spectrum is used in a variety of ways in everyday life. Radio waves are used for communication, microwaves are used for cooking, and visible light is used for vision. Other forms of electromagnetic radiation are used for medical imaging, security scanning, and many other applications.

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in the electromagnetic spectrum?

The relationship between wavelength and frequency in the electromagnetic spectrum is inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c = λf, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

How does the electromagnetic spectrum relate to color?

The visible light portion of the electromagnetic spectrum is responsible for the colors we see. Each color corresponds to a specific wavelength within this range. Red light has the longest wavelength, while violet light has the shortest wavelength. Our eyes perceive different colors based on the wavelength of the light that enters them.