Solving Electromagnetic Tensor & B-Field

In summary, when multiplying two Levi-Civitas, you get antisymmetric delta functions. To find F in terms of B, you take advantage of this and use the Einstein summation convention.
StuartY
Hello, first off, I'm not sure if I put this question in the right place so sorry about that.
Given Bi = 1/2 εijk Fjk how would you find F in terms of B? I think you multiply through by another Levi-Civita, but then I don't know what to do after that. Any help would much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's correct. When you multiple two levi-civitas, and end up with delta functions. Then you take advantage of F being antisymmetric.

[tex] B_i = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{ijk} F^{jk} [/tex]
[tex] \epsilon^{imn} B_i = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon^{imn} \epsilon_{ijk} F^{jk} [/tex]
[tex] \epsilon^{imn} B_i = \frac{1}{2} (\delta^m_j \delta^n_k - \delta^n_j \delta^m_k) F^{jk} [/tex]
[tex] \epsilon^{imn} B_i = \frac{1}{2} (F^{mn} - F^{nm}) [/tex]
[tex] F^{nm} = - F^{mn} [/tex]

after some relabeling:
[tex] \epsilon^{ijk} B_i = F^{jk} [/tex]

Last edited:
DuckAmuck said:
That's correct. When you multiple two levi-civitas, you end up with a variety of results depending on how many indices are shared. In the case you want here, 2 are shared: [tex] \epsilon^{jkl} \epsilon_{ijk} = 2 \delta^{l}_i [/tex]

[tex] B_i = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{ijk} F^{jk} [/tex]
[tex] \epsilon^{jkl} B_i = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon^{jkl} \epsilon_{ijk} F^{jk} [/tex]
[tex] \epsilon^{jkl} B_i = \frac{1}{2} 2 \delta^{l}_i F^{jk} [/tex]
This is wrong, you can never have three of the same index when using the Einstein summation convention. You are using the same letter for some free indices as for some summation indices and then you confuse which is what. The thing to use is the standard epsilon-delta relation with only one index summed over and compute ##\epsilon_{mni} B_i##. I will leave the actual computation for the OP.

Orodruin said:
This is wrong, you can never have three of the same index when using the Einstein summation convention. You are using the same letter for some free indices as for some summation indices and then you confuse which is what. The thing to use is the standard epsilon-delta relation with only one index summed over and compute ##\epsilon_{mni} B_i##. I will leave the actual computation for the OP.

My bad. I guess I just remember the answer, and forgot how to do math. I fixed it.

Just use the identity
$$\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ilm}=\delta_{jl} \delta_{km} - \delta_{jm} \delta_{kl}.$$
The Hodge dual of a Hodge dual leads back to the original (up to signs), e.g.,
$$B_j=\epsilon_{jkl} F_{kl}=2(^{\dagger} F)_{j}$$
leads to
$$\epsilon_{abj}B_j=\epsilon_{jab} B_j=\epsilon_{jab} \epsilon_{jkl} F_{kl}=(\delta_{ak} \delta_{bl}-\delta_{al} \delta_{bk})) F_{kl}=F_{ab}-F_{ba}=2F_{ab}.$$
So indeed you have
$$^{\dagger \dagger} F=F.$$
Note that all this is in usual 3D Carrtesian notation. If you want to have this covariantly in Minkowski space you must be careful with the signs of the 4D Levi-Civita tensor. It also differs from one textbook to the other. So make sure you know the convention used in your textbook!

1. What is an electromagnetic tensor?

The electromagnetic tensor is a mathematical object used to describe the electromagnetic field in a four-dimensional spacetime. It contains information about both the electric and magnetic fields, and their interactions with each other.

2. Why is the electromagnetic tensor important?

The electromagnetic tensor is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electromagnetic fields, which play a crucial role in many areas of physics and technology. It allows us to make precise calculations and predictions about the behavior of charged particles and electromagnetic waves.

3. How is the electromagnetic tensor related to the B-field?

The B-field, or magnetic field, is one component of the electromagnetic tensor. The tensor contains information about both the electric and magnetic fields, and the B-field is represented by one of the components of the tensor. The other component is the E-field, or electric field.

4. How is the electromagnetic tensor solved?

The electromagnetic tensor is solved using mathematical equations, such as Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. These equations can be solved using various techniques, such as vector calculus and differential equations, to determine the values of the electric and magnetic fields at different points in space and time.

5. What are some applications of solving the electromagnetic tensor and B-field?

The solutions of the electromagnetic tensor and B-field have many practical applications in technology, including the design and operation of electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic radiation, such as radio waves, microwaves, and light, which are used in communication, medicine, and many other fields.