1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic tensor - invariant

1. Jan 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,

I have to calculate the invariant: [tex] \tilde{F}^{\mu \nu} \, F_{\mu \nu} [/tex]
    where F is the electromagnetic field tensor and [tex] \tilde{F} [/tex] the dual one.

2. Relevant equations
    First, the contravariant components of the electromagnetic field tensor are given by:
    [tex]F^{\mu\nu} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & -E_1 & -E_2 & -E_3 \\ E_1 & 0 & -B_3 & B_2 \\ E_2 & B_3 & 0 & -B_1 \\ E_3 & -B_2 & B_1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and the covariant by:
    [tex]F_{\mu\nu} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & E_1 & E_2 & E_3 \\ -E_1 & 0 & -B_3 & B_2 \\ -E_2 & B_3 & 0 & -B_1 \\ -E_3 & -B_2 & B_1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

And last but not least, the contravariant components of the dual elm. field tensor:
    [tex]\tilde{F}^{\mu\nu} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & -B_1 & -B_2 & -B_3 \\ B_1 & 0 & E_3 & -E_2 \\ B_2 & -E_3 & 0 & E_1 \\ B_3 & E_2 & -E_1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I note:
    [tex]\tilde{F}^{a0} = B^{a} [/tex]

[tex]\tilde{F}^{ab} = \epsilon^{abi} E_{i}[/tex]

[tex]F_{a0} = - E_{a} [/tex]

[tex]F_{ab} = \epsilon_{abc} B^{c}[/tex]

Now, if I use these relations I obtain the wrong solution:

[tex] \tilde{F}^{\mu \nu} \, F_{\mu \nu} = 2 \tilde{F}^{a0} F_{a0} + \tilde{F}^{ab} F_{ab} = - 2 B^{a} E_{a} + \epsilon^{abi} E_{i} \epsilon_{abc} B^{c} = 0 [/tex]
    where I used the relation: [tex] \epsilon^{abi} \epsilon_{abc} = 2 \delta^{i}_{c} [/tex]

Of course, if i simply insert the components explicitly (the "matrix elements") I get the result [tex]\tilde{F}^{\mu \nu} \, F_{\mu \nu} = - 4 \vec{B} \cdot \vec{E} [/tex] and everything is fine.

I used the following convention: [tex] \epsilon^{0123} = 1 [/tex], latin indices: {1,2,3}, greek indices: {0,1,2,3}

Further I calculated: [tex] \epsilon_{123} = \eta_{\alpha 1} \, \eta_{\beta 2} \, \eta_{\gamma 3} \, \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma} = - 1 [/tex] where [tex] \eta = diag(1, -1, -1, -1) [/tex] is the metric tensor.

I think there has to be a wrong sign, but I don't find it. Does anyone have an idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you might want to double check this one :wink:

4. Jan 17, 2009 #3
    hmmm, I don't see anything wrong here !?

If I check it I obtain the right elements, for example: [tex] F_{12} = \epsilon_{123} B^{3} = - B^{3} [/tex].

5. Jan 17, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]\epsilon_{123}=+1[/tex] :wink:

6. Jan 17, 2009 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This assumes that [tex]\epsilon_{abc}[/tex] transforms as a tensor; but it doesn't. It is a tensor density with weight -1.

7. Jan 17, 2009 #6
    ok, [tex] \epsilon_{ijk} [/tex] is a pseudotensor, but where is the difference between covariant [tex] \epsilon_{ijk} [/tex] and contravariant [tex] \epsilon^{ijk} [/tex] components?

In the case with 4 indices there is a difference, for example: [tex] \epsilon^{0123} \neq \epsilon_{0123} [/tex]. Why should it be different with 3 components?

8. Jan 17, 2009 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There isn't a difference in the convention that I'm used to seeing.

I'm assuming that you are using the same convention (the most common convention) that is used here.

In that case, then [tex] \epsilon^{0123} = \epsilon_{0123} [/tex].

If you are using some other convention, whereby [tex] \epsilon_{123}=-1 [/tex] , then your problem is in the equation [tex] \epsilon^{abi} \epsilon_{abc} = 2 \delta^{i}_{c}[/tex] instead.

9. Jan 18, 2009 #8
    i've found something, have a look at this (page 9): http://www.worldscibooks.com/phy_etextbook/6938/6938_chap01.pdf

Further I found something in another wiki (but it's not in english). There is a remark that in relativity there you have to differ between co- and contravariant indices. It is just convention whether you use [tex] \epsilon^{0123} [/tex]= +1 or -1.

But all this doesn't explain my problem :confused:

10. Jan 18, 2009 #9

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The convention used in the above link is not very common; but if that is the convention you use in your course then you can stick with it.

According to that convention, [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}=-e^{ijk}[/tex] and [tex]e_{123}=1[/tex]. Therefor, [tex]\epsilon^{abi} \epsilon_{abc} = -2 \delta^{i}_{c}[/tex] in this convention. In addition, epsilon is a tensor in this convention.

So the question you need to ask yourself is which convention is used in your course text/notes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?