Electromagnetic Tensor: Questions & Answers

In summary, the author is saying that in order to maintain the rest mass of a particle, an electromagnetic force must be a pure force, which means that the four component form of the force must be zero. This is why the second sentence says that F must be an anti symmetric tensor.
shadi_s10
dear all,

I have a question about Electromagnetic field tensor.
As I was reading introduction to relativity by Hobson, I saw this sentence:
"in order that the rest mass of a particle is not altered by the action of the erforce we require the latter to be a pure force, so:
u.f=0
1) what does it mean?

The other question is about the rest of this text:

in the component form this reads:

f_μ u^μ=q F_μσ u^μ u^σ=0
so that F must be an anti symmetric tensor. 2) why?!

Physics news on Phys.org
If this holds

Fμσuμ uσ = 0

then Fμμ = 0, and Fμσ = -Fσμ

It seems obvious to me if the full expansion is written out, but I'm not sure if what I've written is rigorous or helpful.

Mentz114 said:
If this holds

Fμσuμ uσ = 0

then Fμμ = 0, and Fμσ = -Fσμ

It seems obvious to me if the full expansion is written out, but I'm not sure if what I've written is rigorous or helpful.

Dear friend,

I agree with he first one but could you please explain the second one more?
Fμσ = -Fσμ

I don't know why it seems so odd to me!

F12u1 u2 + F21 u2 u1 = 0 => F12 = -F21 ?

Mentz114 said:
F12u1 u2 + F21 u2 u1 = 0 => F12 = -F21 ?

U r right!
Thank you!

does anyone know the answer to the first question?
why should it be like this:
u.f=0?!
what does hobson mean by that?

Relativistic mechanics can be expressed in terms of 4-vectors f, a, v, related to each other in the same way that we're used to seeing in three dimensions except for the use of proper time τ in place of coordinate time, f = ma = m dv/dτ.

Consequently f·v = m v·dv/dτ = ½ m d(v·v)/dτ. But the 4-velocity has constant length c, so this requires that f·v = 0. A realistic 4-force must always be orthogonal to the 4-velocity.

The only way to have f·v ≠ 0 is to consider a system with variable mass.

Thank you. I understand it now.

1. What is the Electromagnetic Tensor?

The Electromagnetic Tensor is a mathematical construct that describes the electromagnetic field in terms of its strength and direction at any given point in space and time. It is commonly used in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of electromagnetism and general relativity.

2. How is the Electromagnetic Tensor represented mathematically?

The Electromagnetic Tensor is represented mathematically as a 4x4 matrix with 16 components. These components represent the electric and magnetic fields in three dimensions, as well as the effects of relativity on these fields.

3. What is the significance of the Electromagnetic Tensor in physics?

The Electromagnetic Tensor plays a crucial role in the unification of electricity and magnetism, as well as in understanding the relationship between these forces and the fabric of spacetime. It is also essential in the development of theories such as electromagnetism and general relativity.

4. How is the Electromagnetic Tensor used in practical applications?

The Electromagnetic Tensor is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices, electromagnetic simulations, and in the development of technologies like MRI machines. It is also used in theoretical research to explore new possibilities in the field of electromagnetism.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with using the Electromagnetic Tensor?

One of the main challenges in using the Electromagnetic Tensor is its complexity, which can make it difficult for non-experts to understand and work with. Additionally, the tensor is only applicable to classical electromagnetism and does not fully encompass quantum effects. There is ongoing research to develop a more comprehensive tensor that can incorporate both classical and quantum theories.