1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic theory

1. Sep 2, 2006 #1
    Hi, could anyone please let me know of any books that explain electromagnetic theory.
    Unfortunately a lot of books seem to be written for people who already know the subject well.Probably teaching aids i think. Im in s/e/asia but not a problem as i can always look up ebay. any suggestions please.

many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How well do you know the subject already? How well do you want to know it after your read?

4. Sep 3, 2006 #3
    There are tons of E&M books. Is there some emphasis in particular you were looking for? What mathematical level are you looking for? Do you want more of a physics emphasis, or more of an engineering emphasis?

The Feynman Lectures, Volume II is very good on E&M (though some topics like radiation, interference, diffraction, and polarization are actually covered in volume I, before Maxwell's equations are introduced). No exercises, though

At the risk of sounding like I have stock in Dover books, I'll recommend Schwartz's Principles of Electrodynamics again. It's at the upper-division undergraduate level, but self-contained. He uses Gaussian units. It's a very inexpensive paperback. Dover has a lot of E&M books you might browse if you can find them in a bookstore. I think Rojansky is one of the simpler ones.

I've heard very good things about Griffith's undergraduate textbook.

5. Sep 3, 2006 #4
    many thanks i'll take a look and hopefully they will be of help.

Cheers.

6. Sep 3, 2006 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?