1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Toy Design

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    That is being done for my final project.

I am following this concept: http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/electro/railgun/railgun.html

With the aluminum strips and thinking of making a race car and placing it on it.

Now, would there be any restrictions on designing a race car with 4 disc magnets as its wheels, using straws as it's axles and maybe a match stick box as the body? would weight be an issue to carry the car along the aluminum strip when the alligator clip leads are connected? or am I good to go?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think the axle needs to be metal for conductivity between the two aluminum foil strips but you could wrap the axle with the plastic straw and build your car body on it.

4. Dec 4, 2013 #3
    yeah, i am following the exact break down given in the link. using a metallic coat hanger, and using that as the axles. i am just using the straws so that it can rotate in a match box, as a car and to kind of make it a little aesthetic and not as if i didn't put much effort into the design. i am assuming this will work. but this is my first time taking a physics course and i am not much of a physics person. =/

5. Dec 4, 2013 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

First get it to work as described in the article and then later try adding your extras to it.

The teacher will grade on your basic project working not on the frills but may give you some points for elegance only if its working.

6. Dec 4, 2013 #5
    Will definitely do that. Was thinking of making two wheel cars lol, just in case when i tweak it, it doesn't work with the 4 wheels.

Thanks again for your responses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook