Can a Race Car with Magnetic Wheels be Designed for a Final Project?

In summary, the concept is to make a race car out of aluminum strips with disc magnets for wheels and a match stick box as the body. There are no restrictions on the design, but it is advised to use a metallic axle and to add extra flair later on.
bicepcurls
That is being done for my final project.

I am following this concept: http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/electro/railgun/railgun.html

With the aluminum strips and thinking of making a race car and placing it on it.

Now, would there be any restrictions on designing a race car with 4 disc magnets as its wheels, using straws as it's axles and maybe a match stick box as the body? would weight be an issue to carry the car along the aluminum strip when the alligator clip leads are connected? or am I good to go?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the axle needs to be metal for conductivity between the two aluminum foil strips but you could wrap the axle with the plastic straw and build your car body on it.

yeah, i am following the exact break down given in the link. using a metallic coat hanger, and using that as the axles. i am just using the straws so that it can rotate in a match box, as a car and to kind of make it a little aesthetic and not as if i didn't put much effort into the design. i am assuming this will work. but this is my first time taking a physics course and i am not much of a physics person. =/

bicepcurls said:
yeah, i am following the exact break down given in the link. using a metallic coat hanger, and using that as the axles. i am just using the straws so that it can rotate in a match box, as a car and to kind of make it a little aesthetic and not as if i didn't put much effort into the design. i am assuming this will work. but this is my first time taking a physics course and i am not much of a physics person. =/

First get it to work as described in the article and then later try adding your extras to it.

The teacher will grade on your basic project working not on the frills but may give you some points for elegance only if its working.

jedishrfu said:
First get it to work as described in the article and then later try adding your extras to it.

The teacher will grade on your basic project working not on the frills but may give you some points for elegance only if its working.

Will definitely do that. Was thinking of making two wheel cars lol, just in case when i tweak it, it doesn't work with the 4 wheels.

Thanks again for your responses.

1. What is the purpose of electromagnetic toy design?

Electromagnetic toy design involves using the principles of electromagnetism to create toys that can move, light up, or make sounds. The purpose of this type of toy design is to educate and entertain children while also teaching them about science and technology.

2. How do electromagnetic toys work?

Electromagnetic toys work by using a battery or power source to create an electrical current that flows through a wire coil, creating a magnetic field. This magnetic field can then interact with other magnets or metal objects to produce movement, light, or sound.

3. What are the safety considerations when designing electromagnetic toys?

Safety is a crucial aspect of electromagnetic toy design. It is important to ensure that the batteries and electrical components are properly insulated to prevent shock hazards. Additionally, the strength of the magnets and the size of the toy should be considered to prevent any potential choking hazards.

4. Are there any age restrictions for playing with electromagnetic toys?

The age restrictions for playing with electromagnetic toys may vary, depending on the complexity and potential hazards associated with the toy. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended age range and any safety warnings when purchasing and using these toys.

5. Can I make my own electromagnetic toys at home?

Yes, it is possible to make simple electromagnetic toys at home using basic materials and instructions found online. However, it is important to exercise caution and follow safety precautions when working with electricity and magnets. It is also recommended to have adult supervision when children are involved in making these toys.