1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic wave equation

1. Jun 8, 2007 #1
    First of all I have to say that translating specific words from native language to english, is not easy. So I hope that you realize what is going on:

What did I do wrong ?

(Traveling waves from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waves ).

Attached Files:

• 412.jpg
      412.jpg
      File size:
      32.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

First, E and B will have different phases. You show them with the same phase shift. Second, the magnitude of E and B are related by the characteristic impedance of free space -- do you know how?

4. Jun 8, 2007 #3
    I suppose the pahases are the same. If they aren't, should I find them too ?

I can't recall any formula for that.

5. Jun 8, 2007 #4

berkeman

6. Jun 9, 2007 #5
    How to find B_0. THe formula B_0=E_0/c doesn't give B_0=0,5
    It gives 0,005.

7. Jun 13, 2007 #6
    Thanks for no help!
    The benifit of this forum is ZERO.
    I recommend this forum to everybody who wants no help.

No offence, physicist!

8. Jun 13, 2007 #7

berkeman

Sorry you feel that way -- you are in the minority. We do not give out answers here on the PF. We try to point you to resources that you can use to help you figure out the problem.

In your post above.... E and B are not related by c. They are related by the characteristic impedance of free space. That is how you find B from E.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?