1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Wave Equation

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
    Hi I have a presentation tomorrow and have to explain a few wave equations. I am using a book to walk me through them but there is one point I don't understand:

At one point the book states:

Because k=(angular frequency)/c, we will represent the waves of the electric field as:

e^i (angular frequency ^ (x/c))

Now I am unsure what equation they used to get to this and also if its
    e^i *(angular frequency ^ (x/c))
    or
    e^(i *(angular frequency ^ (x/c)))

Any help would be really great. Im sorry if this is a stupid question.
    Thanks in advance,
    Drew.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2008 #2
    to derive that, you need to use maxwell's equations and then separation of variables in 4 dimensions (3space 1time). The spacial parts are much trickier as i recall, if your familiar with math methods it won't be TOO bad to derive the time dependence.

4. Apr 30, 2008 #3
    Ok so the Maxwell equations, I am not familiar with those, I may just list it as a given and hope noone asks questions, do you know which of the two equations i listed it would be?
    e^i * stuff or e^(i*stuff)?
    Thanks again.

5. Apr 30, 2008 #4
    its e^(i*stuff) not (e^i)*stuff.
    Maxwell's equations are some of the most important in all of physics; there are 4 (and a half... don't worry about that) and they describe the vast majority of all physical phenomena in the universe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook