Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic wave in media

1. Jun 16, 2007 #1
    Please consider the following problem:
    A plane electromagnetic wave propagates throug a stationary medium with phase velocity u<c. Consider an observer that moves with speed u relative to the medium. In
    J.P. McTevish, "Maxwell's equations in media and special relativity," Eur.J.Phys. 21 229-231 2000
    the Author mentions that the observer will detect the presence of a magnetic field and the absence of the electric field.
    My intuition (which is not the best adviser) suggests that he will detect the presence of the static electric field and the absence of the magnetic field.
    What is your oppinion and why?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not as easy as that article (which I have not see or refereed) says.
    You know E and B in the rest system of the dielectric as functions
    of r and t. You can LT E and B, and r and t to find E and B in the moving system. It is straightforward, but could be complicated algebraicly
  4. Jun 17, 2007 #3
    E and B transformation

Thanks for your hint. I have realized thatg static E and B and E and B in the electromagnetic wave transform in different ways.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?