Electromagnetic wave problem

In summary, the maximum value of the electric field E at 1.0 m from a 100 W light bulb radiating in all directions can be determined using the equation I=(1/2)(8.85x10^-12)(c)E^2, but this may not yield the correct answer as the intensity is measured in W/m^2 and we are not given the unit area. The 100W of light goes through the surface area of a sphere with a radius of 1 meter.
sgoeke

Homework Statement

What is the maximum value of the electric field E at 1.0 m from a 100 W light bulb radiating in all directions?

Homework Equations

I feel like I should use this equation: I=(1/2)(8.85x10^-12)(c)E^2

The Attempt at a Solution

When I used that equation, I didn't get the right answer. But I guess I'm confused since intensity is W/m^2 and we're not given the unit area.

Physics news on Phys.org
sgoeke said:

Homework Statement

What is the maximum value of the electric field E at 1.0 m from a 100 W light bulb radiating in all directions?

Homework Equations

I feel like I should use this equation: I=(1/2)(8.85x10^-12)(c)E^2

The Attempt at a Solution

When I used that equation, I didn't get the right answer. But I guess I'm confused since intensity is W/m^2 and we're not given the unit area.

You have 100W of light going through the surface area of a sphere that has a radius of 1 meter...

1. What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. These waves consist of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate in a perpendicular direction to each other and travel through space at the speed of light.

2. What are the properties of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have several properties including wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and speed. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave, while frequency is the number of waves that pass through a point in one second. Amplitude is the height of the wave, and speed is the rate at which the wave travels through space.

3. How are electromagnetic waves generated?

Electromagnetic waves are generated when an electric field and a magnetic field oscillate in a perpendicular direction to each other. This can occur naturally, such as with lightning, or it can be created artificially using electrical equipment.

4. What are the different types of electromagnetic waves?

The electromagnetic spectrum includes a wide range of waves, from radio waves with longer wavelengths and lower frequencies, to gamma rays with shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies. Other types of electromagnetic waves include microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, and x-rays.

5. How do electromagnetic waves interact with matter?

Electromagnetic waves can interact with matter in different ways depending on the properties of the material and the wavelength of the wave. Some materials may reflect, absorb, or transmit the wave, while others may cause the wave to change direction or be scattered. This interaction is the basis for many technologies, such as radio and microwave communication, and medical imaging.