1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Wave

1. Apr 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A plane electromagnetic wave, which is polarized in the positive y-direction, propagates in the negative z-direction. What is the direction of the magnetic field of this wave?

2. Relevant equations
    My choices are:

+z direction.
    -y direction.
    -x direction.
    +y direction.
    +x direction.
    -z direction.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't understand polarization much. Also, from what I know about electromagnetic waves the magnetic and electric fields point in two directions so I can't just answer one answer it would have to be two of the choices above but I don't have that option.

Please Help! I Would really appreciate it! It's due tomorrow!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

HINT: Magnetic field components of a E-M wave, will be at right angles to the electric field components.

4. Apr 11, 2007 #3
    So, from what I can gather, the answer is +x or -x, it can be either one can't it?

5. Apr 11, 2007 #4
    Nevermind. I got it and it was positive x. How is that so, though? I swear it can be both positive and negative x. I even drew it out!

6. Apr 11, 2007 #5

Mentz114

Gold Member

The equation that connects the direction of travel (k) and the directions of the E and B fields is -

[tex] \vec{k} = \vec{E} \times \vec{B} [/tex]

That's a vector cross product - see here http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CrossProduct.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?