Understanding Electromagnetic Waves & Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electromagnetic momentum and its comparison to regular momentum. The explanation provided by the textbook is not clear, but it is suggested to refer to the wiki page on radiation pressure for more information. The conversation also touches on the factors affecting electromagnetic momentum, such as mass and intensity of the wave, and clarifies the difference between electromagnetic momentum and radiation.
polaris90
I have trouble understanding the concept of electromagnetic waves.
my textbook has the following explanation for electromagnetic momentum. It's not very clear to me.
[ light reflecting from a perfect reflector will leave the surface with its initial momentum, thus having twice its initial momentum.
Light being totally absorbed will have no momentum after absorption thus changing its momentum by its initial momentum.]
Since momentum is the product and mass of an object. How is this compared to electromagnetic momentum, what would be the mass in this case? My guess is the intensity of the wave. They also refer to it as just the electromagnetic radiation. Is their any difference?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
polaris90, Looks to me like each point you make and ask about are covered in a few short paragraphs on the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_pressure

Look down until you see the heading called "Quantum Theory Argument"

After reading and studying that if you have more doubts or questions, do come right back here and post them!

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. They consist of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate at right angles to each other as they travel through space.

2. How do electromagnetic waves travel?

Electromagnetic waves travel through a vacuum at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. They can also travel through certain materials, such as air or water, but their speed may be slightly slower.

3. What is the relationship between electromagnetic waves and momentum?

According to the laws of physics, electromagnetic waves have both energy and momentum. The momentum of an electromagnetic wave is directly proportional to its energy and inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that shorter wavelength waves have a higher momentum than longer wavelength waves.

4. How are electromagnetic waves classified?

Electromagnetic waves are classified based on their frequency and wavelength. The electromagnetic spectrum, which includes all types of electromagnetic waves, is divided into categories such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

5. How are electromagnetic waves used in our daily lives?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of applications in our daily lives. Some common uses include radio and television broadcasting, cellular and Wi-Fi communication, medical imaging, and cooking with microwaves. They are also used in technologies such as radar, GPS, and MRI machines.