Understanding Electromagnetic Waves

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of light waves traveling through a medium, particularly the Earth's atmosphere. The difference between transverse and longitudinal waves was also mentioned, and the explanation of how light waves exist and are emitted from a source was explored. There was also a mention of a device used to detect the electric field of a wave. However, the demonstration provided was hindered by practical details and an illegible diagram.
FOIWATER
Gold Member
I am having trouble understanding how a light wave travels through a medium, such as the Earth's atmosphere when emitted from a light bulb...

I have read some topics on the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves, but I am having trouble understanding how they exist.

I can imagine radiation existing as being emitted from a source, in all directions, and the intensity of the radiation over time follows a sine wave, and the period of this sine wave determines the color of the light, IE, how often the radiation peaks and crests in intensity over time. That's kind of how I imagine it, but is it correct.

Engineering news on Phys.org
FOIWATER said:
I am having trouble understanding how a light wave travels through a medium, such as the Earth's atmosphere when emitted from a light bulb...

Can you be more specific, as our atmosphere is mostly empty space to visible light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light#In_a_medium

empty space, than.

nsaspook said:
A simple device to detect the E field of a wave.

A very good demo but marred by the emphasis on practical details and an illegible white board diagram. They must have been very chuffed when they got it working and could 'feel' the wavefronts!

Last edited by a moderator:

What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is generated by the movement of electrically charged particles. They are characterized by their oscillating electric and magnetic fields, and they can travel through a vacuum.

How do electromagnetic waves differ from other types of waves?

Unlike mechanical waves, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves do not require a medium to travel through. They can also travel at the speed of light and have a wide range of frequencies and wavelengths.

What are the properties of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have several key properties, including wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and speed. They also exhibit the properties of reflection, refraction, diffraction, and interference.

What are the uses of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of uses in various fields, including communication, transportation, medicine, and technology. Some examples include radio waves for broadcasting, microwaves for cooking, and X-rays for medical imaging.

How do humans interact with electromagnetic waves?

Humans can interact with electromagnetic waves through various means, such as using devices that emit or receive electromagnetic waves, such as radios and smartphones. Our bodies also naturally emit and absorb some types of electromagnetic waves, such as infrared radiation and visible light.