Understanding Electromagnetic Waves in a Vacuum

In summary: E = EoCos(sqrt(2)/2*kx +sqrt(2)/2*ky - wot + pi/2)B = Eo/c*Cos(sqrt(2)/2*kx +sqrt(2)/2*ky - wot + pi/2)
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

A plane harmonic electromagnetic wave of amplitude Eo and frequency wo is traveling in the positive x direction in a vacuum. It is linearly polarized with its plane of vibration at 45 degrees to the xy plane and the electric field is zero when x=0 and t=0

a) Make a sketch showing the polarization and propagation direction of the wave. Include the directions of E,B and the Poynting vector in the sketch

b) Write an expression for the electric field of the wave

c) Write an expression for the magnetic field of the wave

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
do8db7.png

b) kx = kcos(45), ky = ksin(45), phase angle = cos(x) = 0, therefore x must equal pi/2

E = EoCos(sqrt(2)/2*kx +sqrt(2)/2*ky - wot + pi/2)

c) B = Eo/c*Cos(sqrt(2)/2*kx +sqrt(2)/2*ky - wot + pi/2)

Have I done this correctly and is my sketch correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
3D diagrams are always tricky, but the direction of S looks odd and the direction of k is wrong.
What does "travels in x-direction" tell you about k and possible polarization axes?

Why do E and B depend on y?

mfb said:
3D diagrams are always tricky, but the direction of S looks odd and the direction of k is wrong.
What does "travels in x-direction" tell you about k and possible polarization axes?

Why do E and B depend on y?

28bw2zn.png

I'm not sure where the magnetic field points. Must it always be perpendicular to the E field and direction of propagation ?

Looks better. You could draw the angle between E and y to make the direction of E clearer.
TheRedDevil18 said:
Must it always be perpendicular to the E field and direction of propagation ?
Right.

TheRedDevil18 said:
b) kx = kcos(45), ky = ksin(45), phase angle = cos(x) = 0, therefore x must equal pi/2

E = EoCos(sqrt(2)/2*kx +sqrt(2)/2*ky - wot + pi/2)

c) B = Eo/c*Cos(sqrt(2)/2*kx +sqrt(2)/2*ky - wot + pi/2)

Have I done this correctly and is my sketch correct ?
I'm a bit mystified by your answer to (b) and (c).
E is a vector with y and z components, so is B. Neither has an x component.
I don't see an expression for the vector fields of E or B that I can understand.
Depending on the direction of rotation of the E-B plane, you need to come up with something like
E = Ey j + Ez k
B
= By j - Bz k
including an expression showing the dependency of the E and B vectors with x and t.
where j and k are unit vectors in the y and z direction resp.
(Don't confuse k with k).
Note the + and - signs above. They get reversed if the rotation is in the other direction.

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons. They consist of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that travel through space at the speed of light.

2. What is the difference between electromagnetic waves and other types of waves?

Unlike mechanical waves, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves do not require a medium to travel through. They can travel through a vacuum, making them the only type of wave that can do so. Additionally, they have a wider range of frequencies and wavelengths compared to other types of waves.

3. How are electromagnetic waves produced?

Electromagnetic waves are produced when an electrically charged particle, such as an electron, accelerates. This acceleration creates a change in the electric and magnetic fields, causing them to oscillate and produce the wave.

4. What are the uses of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of uses in various industries and technologies. Some common applications include communication (radio waves), cooking (microwaves), medical imaging (X-rays), and energy production (solar panels).

5. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of electromagnetic wave has a unique frequency and wavelength, and they are all part of the same fundamental phenomenon.