1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetics - Plane wave reflections/transmissions

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1 GHz plane wave is free space is normally incident on a finite-width, lossless dielectric slab (relative permeability, uR of 2, relative permittivity, εR of 18, slab of length l).

Determine the narrowest slab length for which 57.14% of power is reflected and the reflected signal has a phase angle of -160.89 degrees with respect to incident signal.

2. Relevant equations
    - ni = sqrt(uRR)
    - wavelength = λi = c/(f*ni)
    - intrinsic impedance = ζ = ζO*ni

3. The attempt at a solution
    - Knowing the dielectric values for air and the slab, I know the index of refraction for air is simply 1. The dielectric exhibits an index of 6.

- I also know the intrinsic impedances of the two dielectrics as well - ζO = 377[Ω], ζSLAB = 125.67[Ω]

-Wavelength of free space is 0.30[m], whereas the wavelength within the slab is 0.05[m].

- I also know that the reflection coefficient is equal to 0.5714.

From these small steps I have completed, I hope I have gotten closer to the answer. Thank you for all help in advance! It is most appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?