Electromagnetism Book: Find a Brief, Synthetic & Mathematical Guide

In summary, electromagnetism is the branch of physics that studies the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It has many real-world applications, including generators, motors, and medical imaging technologies. Its basic principles include Coulomb's law, Gauss's law, and Faraday's law. Electromagnetism also plays a crucial role in the production and behavior of light, which is an electromagnetic wave. Some of the important mathematical equations used in electromagnetism include Maxwell's equations, the Lorentz force law, Ohm's law, Ampere's law, and Faraday's law.
DamunaTaliffato
Hi,
I've just finished to study Griffith's book, and I would like to read something in order to do a review about electromagnetism. I would like to find a brief book that starts from Maxwell's equation and deals with the topic in a synthetic and mathematical way. A book of up to 150 pages, that goes straight to the point.
Any suggestions?
I'm from Italy, so, if I did some mistakes I'm sorry, I'll correct them.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd suggest Landau Lifshitz vol. 2. There's nothing that goes straight to the point as Landau's great textbooks!

Likes DamunaTaliffato and bhobba

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It explains how electric charges interact with each other and with magnetic fields, and how these interactions can produce various phenomena such as electricity, magnetism, and light.

2. What is the importance of studying electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is essential in understanding and explaining a wide range of natural phenomena, including the behavior of atoms and molecules, the operation of electronic devices, and the generation of electricity. It also plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as telecommunications, power generation, and medical imaging.

3. What topics are typically covered in an electromagnetism book?

An electromagnetism book usually covers topics such as electric and magnetic fields, electromagnetic waves, electric circuits, and the laws and principles governing electromagnetism, such as Maxwell's equations. It may also include applications of electromagnetism in various fields, such as optics, electronics, and electromechanics.

4. Is a strong mathematical background necessary to understand electromagnetism?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is necessary to comprehend electromagnetism, most books on the subject provide a gradual introduction to the mathematical concepts and equations used. However, a strong foundation in calculus and vector calculus can greatly aid in understanding the more advanced topics in electromagnetism.

5. Can an electromagnetism book be used as a reference guide?

Yes, an electromagnetism book can serve as a useful reference guide for students and professionals in the field. It typically includes detailed explanations, examples, and practice problems to help readers understand the concepts and apply them to real-world situations. It may also include tables, diagrams, and equations that can be easily referenced when needed.