1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism Charged Sphere Q.

1. May 11, 2012 #1
    Hey,

I have a series of questions on a basic charged sphere and deriving quantities such as the infinitesimal charge, the total charge and the electric field. The question is part (b) in the image below:

Electromagnetism.png

So I found [tex]dQ'[/tex] by equating it to the surface area of a shell at a distance [tex]r'[/tex] multiplied by the corresponding charge density to attain:

[tex]dQ'=\frac{4\pi \rho _{0}r'^6dr'}{R^4}[/tex]

Is this right?

And then for the next part I just integrated over r' for some r'<R to attain:

[tex]Q=\frac{4\pi\rho _{0}r'^7}{7R^4}[/tex]

and then the last part I wish to query is my electric field magnitude, which I attained from equating the product of the electric field and area of some shell at distance r' to the charge divided by the permitivitty of free space to attain:

[tex]E=\frac{\rho _{0}r'^5}{7R^4\epsilon _{0}}[/tex]

Is this right?

Thanks guys!
    Any feedback appreciated,
    SK

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2012 #2
    Oh and provided I've done the above correct, how would I go about answering the next part? It's below:

Electromagnetism2.png

Thanks for any help!
    SK

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook