1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electromagnetism Finding E-fields

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the electric potential of some configuration of charge is given by the expression:

V(r)= (Ae^(-pr))/(r)

where A and p are constants. Find the E-field E(r), the charge density rho(r) and total charge Q. The answer for rho is given in book as:
    epsilon-not * A * ((1/r)4* pi* dirac delta^3 (r) - p^(2) e^(-p*r))
    (The stuff inside parentheses is all divided by r

2. Relevant equations
    -del V= E; del dot E = rho/epsilon-not ;

3. The attempt at a solution
    I the took gradient of V using sperical coordinates using the formula
    -del V= E

to obtain E.

Then I used the formula

del dot E = rho/epsilon-not

to find rho. I am not getting the same rho as in the book. I dont understand why the dirac delta function is in the answer. Do you have to perform an integration or am I taking a wrong apprach all together?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show how you got your volume charge density? What equation did you strart from?

4. Feb 6, 2010 #3
    the formular for obtaing rho goes thru this eqn:

del dot E = rho/epsilon-not

Del dot E in sperical coords. is : (1/r^2) d/dr [ r^2 V(r)] (the (1/r^2) and r^2 are built into the formula.) once i did this multipled both sides by epsioln-not to obtain rho. This question is from Grifiths electrodynamics book ed. 5 problem 2.46

5. Feb 6, 2010 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Then what did you do? When you took the derivatives, did you say

[tex]\frac{r^2}{r^2}\frac{dV}{dr}=\frac{dV}{dr}\;?[/tex]

How justified are you in canceling out the r2 terms at r = 0? That's where the Dirac delta function comes in.

6. Feb 6, 2010 #5
    http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/richard7893/?action=view&current=emag.jpg" [Broken]
    This is what I have so far if you click on the link. Can I cancel out the r^2 terms in the differential? Or do I distribute the r^2 in the numerator and then perform the differential? How can I insert a dirac delta function? If I cancel out the r^2 in the differential I dont get the same answer as the book.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Feb 7, 2010 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the charge distribution has no singularity (does not blow up) as r goes to zero, then you can cancel the r2 in the numerator and denominator and proceed merrily on your way. If there is a singularity, then you essentially have "zero divided by zero". You know that in this case there is a singularity because the electric field goes to infinity as r goes to zero. This means a point charge at the origin which requires a Dirac delta function in the volume charge density.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook