1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism help!

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    Hi, got some homework to do in electromagnetism and one of the problems is:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a Cartesian coordinate system with charges Q (Q = 15μC) at x = + and – 1.3cm, and at y = + 1.7cm and
    – 0.7cm and at z = + 2cm and -0.5cm. Calculate the flux of the electrostatic field through the surface of a sphere
    of radius 3cm, centered at the origin.

Gauss law. Coulomb law

I dont really know the right way to start this problem. The only thing I done is placed the charges in a cartesian coordinate system. I thought of calculating all the electric fields to get the resultant electric field. and from there on I have no idea how to continue.

Not asking here for a complete solution of the problem, but maybe a hint on how to start.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2
    think of the flux lines as flowing water. the charges are sources of water. calculate the total amount of water leaving the sphere.
  4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    well after consulting with some friends, they came to the result that you just got to add up the charges and the divide it through epsilon0. (thanks to: superpostion principle)

seems a bit to simplictic for an uni exercise sheet as the one from last week was way harder :/.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?