Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electromagnetism help!

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    Hi, got some homework to do in electromagnetism and one of the problems is:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a Cartesian coordinate system with charges Q (Q = 15μC) at x = + and – 1.3cm, and at y = + 1.7cm and
    – 0.7cm and at z = + 2cm and -0.5cm. Calculate the flux of the electrostatic field through the surface of a sphere
    of radius 3cm, centered at the origin.

Equations:
    Gauss law. Coulomb law

Attempts:
    I dont really know the right way to start this problem. The only thing I done is placed the charges in a cartesian coordinate system. I thought of calculating all the electric fields to get the resultant electric field. and from there on I have no idea how to continue.

Not asking here for a complete solution of the problem, but maybe a hint on how to start.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2
    think of the flux lines as flowing water. the charges are sources of water. calculate the total amount of water leaving the sphere.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    well after consulting with some friends, they came to the result that you just got to add up the charges and the divide it through epsilon0. (thanks to: superpostion principle)

seems a bit to simplictic for an uni exercise sheet as the one from last week was way harder :/.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook