1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism, potential

1. Jan 26, 2006 #1
    http://www.zen96175.zen.co.uk/question.GIF

Hi everyone :-) This is my first post here!
    I have a question regarding electrostatics, in the picture above. I am not looking for the solution at all as this work will be assesed, Im just hoping that someone can verify/ poke me in the right direction.

First of all potential is q/(k*x) in x-hat direction?
    Integrate that over 2*Pi*a to get potential of a hoop.
    Using cosine rule to express x in terms of theta, then integrate over whole hoop from 0 to Pi..
    Thats what I have been trying, and Im not having any joy. Any small pointers would be most appreciated!

I hope that was okay for a first post!

~Gaz

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2006 #2
    You are almost correct. Wrong point is all potential is [tex]4\pi a^2 k \sigma / r = kq/r (or \frac q {4\pi \epsilon_0 r} )[/tex]

First think of the ring portion on the sphere between [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\theta + d \theta[/tex] (area is [tex]2\pi a^2 \sin \theta d \theta[/tex]), and calculate the electric field the ring creates at P (note you only need to calculate horizontal factor ignoring other directions.) Then integrate it over [tex]0 \leqq \theta \leqq \pi[/tex].

That's all and I'm also calculating it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  4. Jan 26, 2006 #3
    Hi, thanks for the reply :-)
    I am a little mystified by the area you mention... in what orientation are you taking this ring portion?
    Maybe it will come to me, I am working on the problem now but at the moment I cant see it....
    Thanks!

~Gaz

5. Jan 26, 2006 #4
    Actually, I see where you get the area from now :-) Ill keep at it..
    ~Gaz

6. Jan 26, 2006 #5
    under construction :)

ok. I've done all the calculations.

First, the electric charge in the ring on the sphere between [tex]\theta and \theta + d \theta[/tex] is [tex]\2pi a^2 \sigma[/tex]. So the electric field at P this ring contributes is [tex]dE = \frac {2\pi a^2 \sigma \sin \theta d \theta} {x^2} \cos \angle QPO[/tex] (Q is the point on the sphere at [tex]\cos \theta[/tex]. You can take into account only the horizontal component of the electric field, so you need to multiply [tex]\cos \angle QPO[/tex]. So consider [tex]x^2 = a^2 + r^2 - 2ar \cos \theta[/tex] because of law of cosines,

[tex]dE = \frac {2\pi a^2 \sigma \sin \theta } {x^2} \cdot \frac {r-a \cos \theta} { x} = 2 \pi a^2 \sigma (r^2+a^2 - 2ar \cos \theta)^{-3/2} (r-a \cos \theta) \sin \theta d \theta[/tex]

We need to integrate [tex]0 \leqq \theta \leqq \pi[/tex], but substitute [tex]u = \cos \theta, [/tex] so [tex] d \theta = \frac {d \theta}{du} du = - \frac 1 {\sin \theta} du[/tex].

So we integrate:

[tex]dE = 2 \pi a^2 \sigma (r^2+a^2 -2aru)^{-3/2}(r-au)du[/tex] over [tex]-1 \leqq u \leqq 1[/tex] (note sign is reversed.)

Using partial integral,

[tex]E = 2\pi a^2 \sigma (\frac 1 {ar} (r^2+a^2 -2aru)^{-1/2} (r-au) \vert_{-1}^1 + \frac 1 {ar} \int_{-1}^1 a(r^2+a^2-2aru)^{-1/2} du)[/tex]

[tex]= 2\pi a^2 \sigma (\frac 1{ar} (\frac {|r-a|}{|r-a|} - \frac {|r+a|} {|r+a| } ) + \frac 1{ar} (-\frac {2a}{2ar} (r^2+a^2-2aru)^{1/2} \vert_{-1}^1)[/tex]

[tex]= 2\pi a^2 \sigma(\frac 1{ar} \frac 1 r(-(|r-a|-|r+a|))[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac {4 \pi a^2 \sigma} {r^2}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  7. Jan 26, 2006 #6
    Hiya, thanks for the effort you have put in!
    I think I have the solution now, I found the potential first and then the electric field from that, and everything drops out nicely and appears like a point charge as required. I will of course work through your solution also to compare, I thought mine was correct although its a lot shorter than yours...Ill have to check I havent missed anything!

~Gaz

~Gaz

8. Jan 26, 2006 #7
    oh yeah, it says calculate potential first! lol.

9. Jan 26, 2006 #8
    Yeah! If you calculate potential, you don't have to consider [tex]\cos \angle QPO[/tex], so it's much shorter and easier! This cosine part makes the calculation complicated, because of this part, partial integral is necessary.

10. Jan 27, 2006 #9
    My calculation for potential is (as the question requests :))

[tex]d \phi = \frac {2\pi a^2 \sigma \sin \theta} x d \theta[/tex]

so it follows that:

[tex]\phi = \int_0^\pi \frac {2 \pi a^2 \sigma \sin \theta} x d \theta [/tex]

[tex]= \int_0^\pi 2\pi a^2 \sigma (r^2+a^2 -2ar \cos \theta)^{-1/2} \sin \theta d \theta [/tex]

[tex]= \int_{-1}^1 2 \pi a^2 \sigma (r^2+a^2 - 2aru)^{-1/2} du = \frac {4 \pi \sigma a^2} r[/tex]

actually much easier...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?