1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism, Poynting vector

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    3 (a) ii) A time-dependent electric field in vacuum is given by
    ⃗E= E0(0, 0, sin(ky − ωt))
    where E0 is a constant.
    Derive an expression for the corresponding magnetic field ⃗B. [7]
    Using curl E=-dB/dt
    I end up with B=(E0/c)sin(ky-wt)
    Show that both ⃗E and ⃗B are perpendicular to the wave vector ⃗k = (0, k, 0). [2]
    Using the dot product i found that:
    k.E=(0x0,0xk,0x ⃗E)=0
    k.B=(0x ⃗E/c,0xk,0x0)=0
    What is the Poynting vector for this wave? [4]

N=(ExB)/μ0μr

Then we get:

(1/μ0μr)((E0 2/c)sin(ky-wt)2,0,0)
    Finally giving:
    (-1/μ0.μr.c)(E02Sin(ky-wt)2)

I think the first two parts are right but have no idea if im doing the right thing on the last part. I have used the cross product between E and B and got my final answer for part 3. Thanks for any help in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Basically I see nothing wrong with what you did (except for possibly a sign error.)
    But I'm not sure you took the dot-products right.
    The E field has a z component so the B field has an x component & obviously each of these when dotted into the y direction of propagation gives zero. Is that what you wrote?

4. May 13, 2012 #3
    Erm, i think that's what i did. i knew that the dot products would give 0 as each one is along a different axis. Thanks for the reply btw, its good to know that i'm going along the right line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook