Maxwell's Equations: Neglecting Polarization and Magnetization?

In summary: The Wikipedia article on maxwells equations says that the epsilon in my second equation is also with a subscript...In summary, the equations for magnetism and electric fields do not include terms for polarization or magnetization, which is why they may not be applicable to different fields.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Why do people ignore polerization and magnetization when rewriting maxwells equations for different fields?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Isaac0427 said:
rewriting maxwells equations for different fields?
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're referring to here. Can you give an explicit example?

jtbell said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're referring to here. Can you give an explicit example?
Note: sorry, I'm having trouble with LaTeX today. For convenience, I am also going to have the electric constant be just ε.
Gauss' law for magnetism (integral):
∫∫∂VDdS=∫∫∫VρdV
and
∫∫∂VEdS=ε-1∫∫∫VρdV

In converting the equations from D to E, "they" left out polarization, P. Shouldn't the equation be
∫∫∂VEdS=ε-1(∫∫∫VρdV-∫∫∂VPdS)

Similarly, there is no magnetization or polarization term in Ampere's law.

The auxiliary equation reads ##\mathbf D = \epsilon \mathbf E = \epsilon_0 \mathbf E + \epsilon_0 \chi \mathbf E= \epsilon_0 \mathbf E + \mathbf P## where ##\epsilon = (1+\chi)\epsilon_0## and ##\mathbf P = \epsilon_0 \chi \mathbf E##.

blue_leaf77 said:
The auxiliary equation reads ##\mathbf D = \epsilon \mathbf E = \epsilon_0 \mathbf E + \epsilon_0 \chi \mathbf E= \epsilon_0 \mathbf E + \mathbf P## where ##\epsilon = (1+\chi)\epsilon_0## and ##\mathbf P = \epsilon_0 \chi \mathbf E##.
But what does this have to do with my question?

If D=εE+P, where is the +P term put into account in maxwells equations?

Your last equation in post #3 is wrong, in the RHS it should be ##\epsilon_0## instead of ##\epsilon##.

blue_leaf77 said:
Your last equation in post #3 is wrong, in the RHS it should be ##\epsilon_0## instead of ##\epsilon##.
Why don't you read my entire second post before you respond to it. Maybe the top of the post.

Again, can people just please answer my question- where are the P and M terms in some of maxwells equations, such as Gauss' law with the E field?

Do you mean
Isaac0427 said:
I am also going to have the electric constant be just ε.
? So what, I don't see any possible relation between that sentence with your doubt about the absence of P in Maxwell equations.
Isaac0427 said:
Again, can people just please answer my question- where are the P and M terms in some of maxwells equations, such as Gauss' law with the E field?
It's unnecessary to write Gauss equation in terms of P unless you are asked to find this quantity. If you want to express it in terms of P, you would end up with the third equation but with ##\epsilon## replaced by ##\epsilon_0##.

blue_leaf77 said:
It's unnecessary to write Gauss equation in terms of P unless you are asked to find this quantity. If you want to express it in terms of P, you would end up with the third equation but with ϵϵ\epsilon replaced by ϵ0ϵ0\epsilon_0.
So the third equation in post number 3 is correct (keeping in mind that I expressed the electric constant without subscripts)? Why is it unnecessary? Wouldn't that be ignoring a term in the equation? Since when is it ok to leave out a term and call the equation correct?

Isaac0427 said:
So the third equation in post number 3 is correct (keeping in mind that I expressed the electric constant without subscripts)?
You have to include the subscript in the last equation to make it different from the electric constant in the second equation. The epsilon in the second equation is the one inside a matter while that in the last equation is for vacuum.
Isaac0427 said:
Since when is it ok to leave out a term and call the equation correct?
Since the dooms day later may be?? No terms are being left out, instead they are only hidden in the appearing term.
I have got the impression that you haven't seen any equivalence between these two relations:
$$\int\int \mathbf E \cdot d\mathbf S = \frac{1}{\epsilon} \oint \rho_f dV$$
and
$$ \int\int \mathbf E \cdot d\mathbf S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \left( \oint \rho_f dV - \int\int \mathbf P \cdot d\mathbf S \right)$$
with ##\epsilon = (1+\chi)\epsilon_0##, see these epsilons are different.
Look at eq. 23 in http://www-users.aston.ac.uk/~pearcecg/Teaching/PDF/LEC2.PDF .

blue_leaf77 said:
You have to include the subscript in the last equation to make it different from the electric constant in the second equation. The epsilon in the second equation is the one inside a matter while that in the last equation is for vacuum.

Since the dooms day later may be?? No terms are being left out, instead they are only hidden in the appearing term.
I have got the impression that you haven't seen any equivalence between these two relations:
$$\int\int \mathbf E \cdot d\mathbf S = \frac{1}{\epsilon} \oint \rho_f dV$$
and
$$ \int\int \mathbf E \cdot d\mathbf S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \left( \oint \rho_f dV - \int\int \mathbf P \cdot d\mathbf S \right)$$
with ##\epsilon = (1+\chi)\epsilon_0##, see these epsilons are different.
Look at eq. 23 in http://www-users.aston.ac.uk/~pearcecg/Teaching/PDF/LEC2.PDF .
The Wikipedia article on maxwells equations says that the epsilon in my second equation is also with a subscript 0.

You're dealing with different charge densities in each equation. When you write $$\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \iiint_\Omega \rho \ dV$$ the ##\rho## is the total charge, i.e. the free charge plus the bound charge, whereas the proper equation using the ##D## field is $$\oint \vec{D} \cdot d\vec{A} = \iiint_\Omega \rho_f \ dV$$ using only the free charge.

More explicitly, starting from the equation for the ##D## field, let ##\vec{D} = \epsilon_0 \vec{E} + \vec{P}##, so substituting this in:
$$\oint \vec{D} \cdot d\vec{A} = \iiint \rho_f \ dV \Rightarrow \oint \left(\epsilon_0\vec{E} + \vec{P}\right) \cdot d\vec{A} = \iiint_\Omega \rho_f \ dV$$ Then $$\oint \epsilon_0\vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \iiint_\Omega \rho_f \ dV - \oint \vec{P} \cdot d\vec{A}$$
Applying the divergence theorem and combining the right side integrals:
$$\oint \epsilon_0\vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \iiint_\Omega \rho_f - \nabla \cdot \vec{P} \ dV $$
Finally, ##-\nabla \cdot \vec{P}## is what we call the bound charge density ##\rho_b##, so the integrand on the right side is ##\rho = \rho_f + \rho_b##, or the total charge density including both free and bound charges, so we're left with $$\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0}\iiint_\Omega \rho \ dV $$

What is bound charge density? Well, consider a conducting place in an electric field. Because of the applied external field, the atoms in the material form small dipoles, each of which cancels out the field from the adjacent dipole, except on the edges of the material. This surface charge constitutes the bound charge density. This, by the way, demonstrates the importance of always being aware of explicitly what it is that your variables represent when applying equations.

Likes Isaac0427
axmls said:
You're dealing with different charge densities in each equation. When you write $$\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \iiint_\Omega \rho \ dV$$ the ##\rho## is the total charge, i.e. the free charge plus the bound charge, whereas the proper equation using the ##D## field is $$\oint \vec{D} \cdot d\vec{A} = \iiint_\Omega \rho_f \ dV$$ using only the free charge.

More explicitly, starting from the equation for the ##D## field, let ##\vec{D} = \epsilon_0 \vec{E} + \vec{P}##, so substituting this in:
$$\oint \vec{D} \cdot d\vec{A} = \iiint \rho_f \ dV \Rightarrow \oint \left(\epsilon_0\vec{E} + \vec{P}\right) \cdot d\vec{A} = \iiint_\Omega \rho_f \ dV$$ Then $$\oint \epsilon_0\vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \iiint_\Omega \rho_f \ dV - \oint \vec{P} \cdot d\vec{A}$$
Applying the divergence theorem and combining the right side integrals:
$$\oint \epsilon_0\vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \iiint_\Omega \rho_f - \nabla \cdot \vec{P} \ dV $$
Finally, ##-\nabla \cdot \vec{P}## is what we call the bound charge density ##\rho_b##, so the integrand on the right side is ##\rho = \rho_f + \rho_b##, or the total charge density including both free and bound charges, so we're left with $$\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0}\iiint_\Omega \rho \ dV $$

What is bound charge density? Well, consider a conducting place in an electric field. Because of the applied external field, the atoms in the material form small dipoles, each of which cancels out the field from the adjacent dipole, except on the edges of the material. This surface charge constitutes the bound charge density. This, by the way, demonstrates the importance of always being aware of explicitly what it is that your variables represent when applying equations.
Thank you, this clears everything up!

Likes axmls
@Isaac0427 Your question is a very good one, and I do think the E&M textbooks would do well to present a simple case illustrating the concept of polarization ## P ## before presenting the more complicated cases as they often do. Let me explain in more detail: Consider a cylinder (of finite length) of uniform spontaneous polarization ## P ## along its axis with no external electric fields present.. The equation ## - \nabla \cdot P=\rho_p ## can be used to compute any polarization charge density ## \rho_p ## that arises. For this case of uniform ## P ##, ## \ ## ## \nabla \cdot P=0 ## everywhere but at the surface boundaries where there will be a surface charge density ## \sigma_p ## given by ## \sigma_p=P \cdot \hat{n} ##. For this case, the polarization surface charge simply appears on the endfaces of the cylinder. The electric field can readily be computed everywhere using Coulomb's law. This part is simple-it gets more difficult, but this part was necessary to really understand how the polarization problems work. ## \\ ## What is often the case is instead of a spontaneous polarization, an internal electric field ## E_i ## causes the material to be polarized, often in a linear fashion. The problem is though, when an external electric field ## E_o ## is applied to a sample, because of gradients in the polarization ## P ## (as well as the discontinuity in ## P ## at the surface), polarization charges arise which alter the applied electric field ## E_o ## so that the field in the material ## E_i ## that causes the ## P ## will be different from ## E_o ##. It is a complex self-consistent mathematics that has been found to only be simple for a couple of geometries such as a sphere. ## \\ ## In the case of a sphere in a uniform ## E_o ## detailed calculations involving Legendre polynomials shows the polarization ## P ## and ## E_i ## that results is uniform. Thereby the only polarization charges are surface polarization charges. Assuming a uniform ## P ## inside, you can readily show that ## E_p ## from the surface polarization charges at the center of the sphere (using ## \sigma_p=P \cdot \hat{n} ##) is ## E_p=-P/(3 \epsilon_o). ## (More detailed calculations show this ## E_p ## is the same everywhere inside the sphere). Now ## E_i=Eo+E_p ##. Given a linear relationship ## P=\chi E_i ##, the ## E_i ## and ## P ## can readily be computed in terms of ## E_o ## and ## \chi ##. Hopefully this example proves useful. ## \\ ## For a dielectric slab in a uniform ## E_o ##, the polarization ## P ## is also uniform. (Suggestion is you compute the ## E_p ## , ## E_i ##, and ## P ## for this case, given applied ## E_o ## and ## \chi ## for the material). Most other geometries do not give a uniform ## P ## so that the self-consistent mathematics can get quite complex.

Last edited:
Isaac0427 said:
where are the P and M terms in some of maxwells equations, such as Gauss' law with the E field?
Think of ##\vec P## as "buried" inside ##\vec D##: $$\oint \vec D \cdot d \vec a = \int \rho_{free} dV \\ \oint (\varepsilon_0 \vec E + \vec P) \cdot d \vec a = \int \rho_{free} dV$$ Similarly ##\vec M## is "buried" inside ##\vec H##.

Charles Link said:
@Isaac0427 Please read my post #16. Would enjoy your feedback.
I get most of it, it's a little complicated with your wording, but I got the point.

Isaac0427 said:
I get most of it, it's a little complicated with your wording, but I got the point.
Good. I wanted to show you an example (the dielectric sphere in a uniform electric field) that they might spend a week on in an advanced E&M class using Legendre Polynomials along with Poisson's equation for the electrostatic potential. I summarized the result in the example. When you see it in your coursework, you will already have had an introduction to it.

Likes Isaac0427
Charles Link said:
Good. I wanted to show you an example (the dielectric sphere in a uniform electric field) that they might spend a week on in an advanced E&M class using Legendre Polynomials along with Poisson's equation for the electrostatic potential. I summarized the result in the example. When you see it in your coursework, you will already have had an introduction to it.
Unfortunately they won't let me get that in my coursework for another 2 years :frown:

Likes davenn
Isaac0427 said:
Unfortunately they won't let me get that in my coursework for another 2 years :frown:

Charles has a habit of going a bit deep at times
The B ( Basic) tag for the thread should have been a hint to take it easy :wink:Dave

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with each other. It is a fundamental force of nature that helps explain the behavior of charged particles and their motion.

What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are created by stationary electric charges, while magnetic fields are produced by moving electric charges. Electric fields are responsible for the attraction or repulsion of charges, while magnetic fields cause charged particles to experience a force perpendicular to their direction of motion.

What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two sides of the same coin, known as electromagnetism. They are closely related, with electric fields influencing magnetic fields and vice versa. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations, which unify the two phenomena into a single theory.

What are some practical applications of electromagnetism?

There are countless practical applications of electromagnetism, including generators, motors, transformers, and various electronic devices. Electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, microwaves, and light, are used for communication and information transfer. Electromagnetic fields are also used in medical imaging and particle accelerators.

What is the role of electromagnetism in the universe?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in the functioning of the universe. It is responsible for the formation of atoms, as well as the behavior of celestial objects such as planets, stars, and galaxies. The interaction between electric and magnetic fields also plays a role in the generation of cosmic rays and the structure of the universe on a large scale.