Unit Vectors for Polarization and Wave Vector Directions

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulty understanding the first step of a solved problem and the expressions for ##\hat{n}## and ##\hat{k}##. The speaker is confused about how these expressions were obtained and is seeking an explanation. The conversation also mentions a similar situation in a linear algebra textbook and suggests a possible solution using planes of constant phase.
roam

Homework Statement

I am having difficulty understanding the very first step of the following solved problem (I understand the rest of the solution).

How did they obtain the expressions for ##\hat{n}## (the direction of polarization), and ##\hat{k}## (the unit vector pointing in the direction of the wave vector)? :confused:

problem1.jpg

Homework Equations

##k=\frac{\omega}{\lambda f} = \frac{\omega}{c}=\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda}##

##E(r, t) = E_0 \ cos (k.r - \omega t) \hat{n}##

##B(r,t) = \frac{1}{c} E_0 \ cos (k.r - \omega t) (\hat{k} \times \hat{n})##

The Attempt at a Solution

What technique did they use to find the expression ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} (\hat{x}+2\hat{y}+\hat{z})## for the unit vector perpendicular to ##x+y+z=0## plane?

Likewise, how did they get the expression ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} (\hat{y}-2 \hat{z})## for the unit vector parallel to the y-z plane?

I could not find any explanations in my Linear Algebra textbook. So any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• problem1.jpg
    problem1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 334
Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you get that solution from?

blue_leaf77 said:
Where do you get that solution from?

This was the solution provided by my teacher. I don't understand, where did he get he get the expressions for ##\hat{n}## and ##\hat{k}## from?

Well that looks strange to me. If the wavevector should be perpendicular to ##x+y+z=0## plane then this plane must be parallel to the planes of constant phase ##\mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{r}=C## with ##C## a constant, in fact this plane is one of them. Which means any plane with equation ##x+y+z=C## is traversed by the beam perpendicularly, and we see the possible unit vector of ##k## that that can form such equation by the dot product with ##\mathbf{r}## must subtend the same angle with all three axes.
But I would like to hear the other's opinion.

1. What are unit vectors in electromagnetism?

Unit vectors in electromagnetism are special vectors that have a magnitude of 1 and are used to represent the direction of a physical quantity, such as electric or magnetic fields. They are typically represented by the symbols ˆi, ˆj, and ˆk in Cartesian coordinates.

2. How are unit vectors used in electromagnetism?

Unit vectors are used to simplify calculations and represent the direction of physical quantities in electromagnetism. They can also be used to represent the components of a vector in a specific direction.

3. What is the difference between electric and magnetic unit vectors?

Electric unit vectors represent the direction of an electric field, while magnetic unit vectors represent the direction of a magnetic field. Both types of unit vectors are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of the electromagnetic wave.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector using unit vectors?

To calculate the magnitude of a vector using unit vectors, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. You square the components of the vector and add them together, then take the square root of the sum. For example, the magnitude of a vector V can be calculated as |V| = √(Vˆi² + Vˆj² + Vˆk²).

5. Can unit vectors be used in other coordinate systems besides Cartesian?

Yes, unit vectors can be used in other coordinate systems, such as cylindrical and spherical coordinates. In these systems, the unit vectors are denoted by ˆρ, ˆφ, and ˆz for cylindrical coordinates and ˆr, ˆθ, and ˆφ for spherical coordinates.