1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism Unit Vectors

1. Jun 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am having difficulty understanding the very first step of the following solved problem (I understand the rest of the solution).

How did they obtain the expressions for ##\hat{n}## (the direction of polarization), and ##\hat{k}## (the unit vector pointing in the direction of the wave vector)? :confused:

2. Relevant equations

##k=\frac{\omega}{\lambda f} = \frac{\omega}{c}=\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda}##

##E(r, t) = E_0 \ cos (k.r - \omega t) \hat{n}##

##B(r,t) = \frac{1}{c} E_0 \ cos (k.r - \omega t) (\hat{k} \times \hat{n})##

3. The attempt at a solution

What technique did they use to find the expression ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} (\hat{x}+2\hat{y}+\hat{z})## for the unit vector perpendicular to ##x+y+z=0## plane?

Likewise, how did they get the expression ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} (\hat{y}-2 \hat{z})## for the unit vector parallel to the y-z plane?

I could not find any explanations in my Linear Algebra textbook. So any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where do you get that solution from?

4. Jun 8, 2015 #3
    This was the solution provided by my teacher. I don't understand, where did he get he get the expressions for ##\hat{n}## and ##\hat{k}## from?

5. Jun 9, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well that looks strange to me. If the wavevector should be perpendicular to ##x+y+z=0## plane then this plane must be parallel to the planes of constant phase ##\mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{r}=C## with ##C## a constant, in fact this plane is one of them. Which means any plane with equation ##x+y+z=C## is traversed by the beam perpendicularly, and we see the possible unit vector of ##k## that that can form such equation by the dot product with ##\mathbf{r}## must subtend the same angle with all three axes.
    But I would like to hear the other's opinion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted