Electromagnetism Vectors

In summary: The torque vector in part v also looks correct, with units of newton-meters (Nm). Great job with the calculations!
vorcil
n.b: The following is all math problems, dealing with vectors, I just need someone to check I'm doing the cross products and dot products properly< thank you! :)

----

The electric field exerts a force per unit charge:

[tex] \bf{E} = (\hat{x} - 2\hat{y} + 4\hat{z}). [/tex]

i) What is the magnitude of E?
ii) What angle the E make with the Z axis (polar angle)
iii) What angle does the projection of the vector on the xy plane make with the x-axis (azimuthal angle)?

iv) The electric field displaces a charge by, [tex] \bf{d} = (2\hat{x} - \hat{y} + 6\hat{z})[/tex]m, Find the work done per unit charge by the electric field?

v) The electric field in iv is applied at the point [tex] P = (1,2,0) [/tex] m. What is the torque about the origin on a unit charge placed at P?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
relevant equations:

Work done per unit of charge = [tex] \bf{E.d} [/tex]
Torque on a unit charge, [tex]\bf{\tau = r x E}[/tex]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my attempt:
i) magnitude of E is just the sum of the square of the components,
x^2 - 2y^2 + 4z^2 = 1^2 -2^2 + 4^2 = 1 +4 + 16 = 21
[tex] | E | = sqrt{21} [/tex]

ii) what angle does it make with the z axis?
I managed to get 90-arcsin(4/|e|) = 45 degrees

iii)What angle does the projection make with the x axis,
I had, arccos(1/(sqrt(5)) = 27.5 degrees

iv)
the dot product of

and [tex] \bf{d} = (2\hat{x} - \hat{y} + 6\hat{z})[/tex]

(1,-2,4) . (2,-1,6) = 2 + 2 +24 = 28,
I know the units of E = vm^-1 and the displacement vector d is m

what happens when I dot product that? It should be joules, since it is the work done, but i don't understand how to form that from those two unit types

v)
the torque is the cross product of r x E
[tex] P = (1,2,0) [/tex] (which I think is r?)

2 0 1 2
-2 4 1 -2
=
(8,-4,-4)
making the torque vector
[tex] \bf{\tau} = (8\hat{x} -4\hat{y} -4\hat{z} [/tex]

thank you for checking

Physics news on Phys.org
my work :)Your work looks correct! To answer your question in part iv, the dot product of E and d is a scalar, so it has no units. The dot product of those two vectors is 28, so the work done per unit charge is 28 joules.

1. What is an electromagnetism vector?

An electromagnetism vector is a quantity that represents the strength and direction of an electromagnetic field. It is a mathematical tool used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in relation to each other.

2. How is an electromagnetism vector different from a regular vector?

An electromagnetism vector is different from a regular vector in that it represents the behavior of both electric and magnetic fields, while a regular vector only describes the behavior of a single quantity.

3. What are some real-life applications of electromagnetism vectors?

Electromagnetism vectors have many real-life applications, such as in the design and operation of electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in telecommunications, such as in the transmission and reception of radio waves.

4. How are electromagnetism vectors used in research and experimentation?

In research and experimentation, electromagnetism vectors are used to analyze and understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They are also used to design experiments and predict the outcomes of certain scenarios.

5. Can electromagnetism vectors be visualized?

Yes, electromagnetism vectors can be visualized using vector diagrams, where the length and direction of the vector represent the magnitude and direction of the electromagnetic field. They can also be visualized using computer simulations and modeling.