1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electromagnetism Vectors

1. Jul 19, 2010 #1
    n.b: The following is all math problems, dealing with vectors, I just need someone to check i'm doing the cross products and dot products properly< thank you! :)

----

The electric field exerts a force per unit charge:

[tex] \bf{E} = (\hat{x} - 2\hat{y} + 4\hat{z}). [/tex]

i) What is the magnitude of E?
    ii) What angle the E make with the Z axis (polar angle)
    iii) What angle does the projection of the vector on the xy plane make with the x-axis (azimuthal angle)?

iv) The electric field displaces a charge by, [tex] \bf{d} = (2\hat{x} - \hat{y} + 6\hat{z})[/tex]m, Find the work done per unit charge by the electric field?

v) The electric field in iv is applied at the point [tex] P = (1,2,0) [/tex] m. What is the torque about the origin on a unit charge placed at P?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    relevant equations:

Work done per unit of charge = [tex] \bf{E.d} [/tex]
    Torque on a unit charge, [tex]\bf{\tau = r x E}[/tex]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    my attempt:
    i) magnitude of E is just the sum of the square of the components,
    x^2 - 2y^2 + 4z^2 = 1^2 -2^2 + 4^2 = 1 +4 + 16 = 21
    [tex] | E | = sqrt{21} [/tex]

ii) what angle does it make with the z axis?
    I managed to get 90-arcsin(4/|e|) = 45 degrees

iii)What angle does the projection make with the x axis,
    I had, arccos(1/(sqrt(5)) = 27.5 degrees

iv)
    the dot product of

and [tex] \bf{d} = (2\hat{x} - \hat{y} + 6\hat{z})[/tex]

(1,-2,4) . (2,-1,6) = 2 + 2 +24 = 28,
    I know the units of E = vm^-1 and the displacment vector d is m

what happens when I dot product that? It should be joules, since it is the work done, but i don't understand how to form that from those two unit types

v)
    the torque is the cross product of r x E
    [tex] P = (1,2,0) [/tex] (which I think is r?)

2 0 1 2
    -2 4 1 -2
    =
    (8,-4,-4)
    making the torque vector
    [tex] \bf{\tau} = (8\hat{x} -4\hat{y} -4\hat{z} [/tex]

thank you for checking

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted