Electromagnets and Induction

In summary: Overall, the energy harvested from this device would depend on the specific design and components used, but it could potentially be a useful source of energy for small devices.
Chip41
Hi all, i was wondering if you could help me calculate a few things to do with induction and electromagnets.

I wanted to look into energy harvesting or charging using electromagnets and wanted to know how to calculate the energy that is created from this product below

http://www.qfonic.com/images/products/shaketocharge/image01.jpg

It is not much more than a coil of wire, a magnet, a bridge rectifier, super capacitor and white LED. A small magnet attached to an on/off switch is used to turn on the light by activating an internal reed relay. Shaking the device forces a large magnet slug to slide back and forth inside the body of the device therefore charging the capacitor inside.

How would i work out exactly how much energy is being gathered from the shaking of this device (if that is a stupid question can you give me an example of a similar system with the WxHxB and no.of coils and size of magnet running through.. so i can get an understanding of how to calculate this.. much appraciated!)

Sorry if its a stupid question

Physics news on Phys.org
!To calculate the energy harvested from this device, you would need to know the size of the magnet slug, the number of coils, the frequency of the shaking motion, and the voltage of the capacitor. With these values, you can calculate the amount of energy that is generated each time the device is shaken. You can then multiply that value by the number of shakes per minute to get an estimate of the total energy being generated. Additionally, you can factor in any losses due to friction or resistance in the system to get a more accurate result.

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. The magnetic field produced by the current in the wire causes the coil to act like a magnet, with a north and south pole.

2. How do electromagnets work?

Electromagnets work by harnessing the properties of electricity and magnetism. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. By wrapping the wire into a coil and increasing the current, the magnetic field becomes stronger and can attract or repel other magnetic materials.

3. What are some applications of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have a wide range of applications, such as in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, speakers, and doorbells. They are also used in industry for lifting and moving heavy objects, and in scrap yards to sort and separate metal materials.

4. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it. This can be achieved by moving a magnet near a conductor or by changing the current in a nearby wire.

5. How is electromagnetic induction used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic induction is used in many everyday devices, such as transformers in power grids, generators in cars, and induction cooktops in kitchens. It is also the principle behind wireless charging for devices like smartphones and electric toothbrushes.