Calculating Magnetic Field Strength from Electron Path Curvature

• Thread starter Mspike6
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling with an assignment on measuring the radius of curvature of electrons passing through a magnetic field. The student is asked to plot a graph of radius as a function of speed and determine the strength of the magnetic field using the slope. They also need to derive an equation to calculate the speed of the electrons from the accelerating potential. The student is having difficulty with this topic and is seeking help.
Mspike6
I got this question on an Assigment, and ..man, am having really hard time with it

Here is how it start :

"A student used the apparatus shown below to measure the radius of the curvature of the path of electrons as they pass through a magnetic field that is perpendicular to their path. This experimental design has the voltage as the manipulated variable, the speed calculated from the voltage, and the radius as the responding variable.

Accelerating Potential Difference (V) |Speed (106 m/s)| Radius (10-2 m)
20.0 | 2.65 | 7.2
40.0 | 3.75 | 9.1
60.0 | 4.59 | 11.0
80.0 | 5.30 | 12.8
100.0 | 5.93 | 14.1
120.0 | 6.49 | 16.3

A. Plot the graph of radius as a function of speed, and construct a best-fit line.

Solution:
I Drew the Graph, and it came out to be Semi liner...ther is a slight curve towards the end

B. Using the slope or other appropriate averaging technique, determine the strength of the magnetic field.

Solution:
am not sure what he means by "Using the slope" but is the slop of that curve is the Strength of magnetic field (B) ?

does that mean that i can take the slope between any 2 points and get the Strength of the magntic field ?

C. Derive the equation that would allow you to calculate the speed of the electrons from the accelerating potential.

Soultion:
sorry but i didn;t even Understand the question

Am so sorry for the lack of my Solutions, but am really having troubles with this unit (Electromagntic)
if anyone know a tutorial or a website that explained this unit in easy and simple way, please include it in your answer... i need all the help i can get for this unit.

any help is really appreciated guys, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
"Easy and simple" varies from person to person. If you're really having trouble with the entire subject of electromagnetism, I think you may need more personalized help than we can offer here.

As for this assignment specifically: whenever you have a charged particle that moves in a magnetic field, without any other forces, it will move in a circle. This is called cyclotron motion. What have you learned about cyclotron motion? (Go back and look it up in your textbook/notes/references if you need to)

I know Equations that may help us Calculate the magnetic strength
Fm=qvB
Fm = (mv2/R)
Fm= I L B

But I don’t know (and didn’t find anything in my notes) about how to get the Magnetic Field strength from a Radius Vs Time graph

1. What is electromagnetic radiation and how does it work?

Electromagnetic radiation is a type of energy that travels through space in the form of waves. It is created when an electric charge accelerates or changes direction. The waves consist of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate perpendicular to each other and are responsible for carrying the energy. This energy can be emitted or absorbed by matter, allowing it to interact with its environment.

2. What are the different types of electromagnetic radiation?

The different types of electromagnetic radiation, also known as the electromagnetic spectrum, include radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type has a specific wavelength and frequency, and they are arranged in order of increasing energy and decreasing wavelength.

3. How is electromagnetic radiation used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic radiation has numerous applications in everyday life. Radio waves are used for communication, such as in cell phones and radios. Microwaves are used for cooking and radar technology. Infrared radiation is used in remote controls and thermal imaging. Visible light allows us to see, and ultraviolet radiation is used in tanning beds and sterilization. X-rays are used in medical imaging, and gamma rays are used in cancer treatment.

4. What are the potential dangers of electromagnetic radiation?

While electromagnetic radiation is essential for many technologies and has many beneficial uses, exposure to high levels of radiation can be dangerous. High-energy forms of electromagnetic radiation, such as X-rays and gamma rays, can ionize atoms and damage DNA, leading to increased risk of cancer. However, the risk is usually minimal in everyday life, and safety measures are taken in industries where workers are exposed to high levels of radiation.

5. How is electromagnetic radiation related to electricity?

Electromagnetic radiation and electricity are closely related because they both involve the movement of electric charge. In electricity, the charges move through a conductor, such as a wire, to carry electrical energy. In electromagnetic radiation, the charges are accelerated or changed, creating waves that carry energy through space. Additionally, electricity and magnetism are two sides of the same force, as shown by the laws of electromagnetism discovered by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century.