1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromatnetism question

1. Feb 3, 2005 #1

phy

A dipole is formed by placing a positive charge of 10 nC at z=0.5micrometers and a negative charge of -10 nC at z= -0.5 micrometers. Determine the potential and the electric field intensity at a point P(0,0,1).

I'm using the equation for potential (V=q/4*pi*epsillon*R) and for electric field intensity (E=q/4*pi*epsillon*R^2) but my problem is that I don't know how to treat the two charges. Do I calculate the potential and electric field intensity at point P due to each charge and then add them or is there another way of approaching the question?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2005 #2
    yep,,, that's how its done... both E and V follow the superposition principle which allows you calculate for each charge and add to get the total result. for E, make sure you treat them as vectors though

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?