Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromechanical brakes

1. Dec 14, 2015 #1
    hello i have a system consisting of bi directional rotating shaft.i would like to integrate a brake in the system for stopping the shaft.
    i m interested in an electromechanical brake in thomas linear compnay's catalogue(http://www.thomsonlinear.com/en/product/SB-70B24-E32S).
    They have mentioned that the brake has uni directional control.
    what does that refer to. please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

uni means one, so the unit can only brake in one direction. ie it can apply an anti clockwise braking torque but not a clockwise braking torque (or vice versa).

4. Dec 15, 2015 #3
    Actually i have asked the company's application engineer. He said otherwise. The full text below for all to benefit:
    1st email:Part number SB-70B24-E32S is a brake only. Thomson does not offer any controls for this brake either and we are unsure what specifications you are speaking of below that speak of unidirectional control since the SB series brake will run both clockwise and counterclockwise or in other words, bi-directional.

There are not any specifications in Thomson literature that speak of a control for these units. Could you please clarify exactly what assistance you require?

Thanks,
    2nd Email:uni directional control is just a feature of the product meaning that you can control it to brake in the direction it is moving. It is just a way to word that if you are moving one direction that is the direction it will brake if you are using it dynamically. If you are using the brake as a holding brake then this would not apply. This is not saying that Thomson offers a control for the unit or that one is required. Many people just choose to wire the unit up and remove power when the braking is necessary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook