Understanding Electromotive Force (emf)

In summary, EMF (electromotive force) is the work done per unit charge to move it around a circuit. It is generated by a battery, which uses chemical reactions to establish an electric field and push electrons from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. This creates a potential difference, which is also known as EMF, and is responsible for driving the charges around the circuit.
Peter G.
Hi,

I am learning about emf. I understand that it is the Work done per unit charge to move it around a circuit.

However, reading my book, I got a bit confused. It started to explain a bit about how a battery functions. From what I understand, chemical reactions do work in order to force electrons to concentrate on the negative side of the battery. This, thereby, establishes an electric field.

So, the work in the definition of an emf is the work described above? Electrons from the negative terminal of the battery then flow through the wires, repelling the delocalized electrons?

I am confused! :redface:

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The battery does physical work to get an electron from the positive terminal to the negative one ... though, in electric circuits, you'd normally think in terms of positive charges. The electron happily falls towards the positive side even in a vacuum. You can think of the batter as like a pump, sucking a charge from the wire at one end and pushing another one out into the the wire at the other end.

That provides the EMF - which, you'll see, is the same as the potential difference between the terminals. The EMF is thought of as driving the charges around the circuit. It's a bit of a misnomer since it does not have the dimensions of Force.

1. What exactly is electromotive force (emf)?

Electromotive force, often abbreviated as emf, is a measure of the energy per unit charge that is supplied by a source, such as a battery or generator, to move a unit of charge around a closed circuit.

2. What is the difference between emf and voltage?

Emf and voltage are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. Emf is the energy per unit charge supplied by a source, while voltage is the potential difference between two points in a circuit. In other words, emf is the force that drives the current, while voltage is the measurement of that force.

3. How is emf measured?

Emf is typically measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter. To measure the emf of a source, the voltmeter is connected to the source in parallel, meaning that it is connected to both the positive and negative terminals of the source.

4. What factors affect the emf of a source?

The emf of a source can be affected by several factors, including the type of material used in the source (such as in a battery), the temperature of the source, and the internal resistance of the source. In general, a higher emf can be achieved with a larger potential difference and lower internal resistance.

5. What is the role of emf in circuits?

Emf plays a crucial role in circuits as it is responsible for driving the flow of current. It is the force that pushes electrons through a circuit, providing the energy needed for devices to operate. Without emf, a circuit would not be able to function.