Electron Velocity from Linearly Increasing Acceleration Graph

In summary: I'll keep that in mind. In the meantime, is there a way to estimate the velocity after 5 seconds without integration?Yes, there is. You could draw a graph and find the area of the triangle formed by the line, the y-axis and some line x=a.
emyt

Homework Statement

an electron starting from rest has an acceleration that increases linearly with time, a= kt.
k = 1.5ms^2/s

Plot acceleration v.s. time graph for 10 seconds

Estimate electron's velocity 5.0s after its motion starts

Homework Equations

vx =vx0 + axt

The Attempt at a Solution

a = 1.5(5) = 7.5

v = 7.5(5) = 37.5

the velocity at 5 seconds is 37.5 m/s?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You used a kinematics formula that only applies if acceleration is constant. You have to integrate the given expression for acceleration to get the correct one for velocity.

You should get something like [tex]v(t) = v_{0} + \frac{1}{2}kt^2[/tex]

Vykan12 said:
You used a kinematics formula that only applies if acceleration is constant. You have to integrate the given expression for acceleration to get the correct one for velocity.

You should get something like [tex]v(t) = v_{0} + \frac{1}{2}kt^2[/tex]

thanks, that's strange that equation isn't in my book - how do you come up with it?

thanks again

There's no equation for it because there's infinitely many ways that acceleration can vary as a function of time.

Eg/

[tex]a(t) = \sin(t)[/tex]

[tex]v(t) = \int_{0}^{t} \sin(t) \, dt = -\cos(t) + C[/tex]

is there a way to "estimate" the velocity after 5 seconds without integration? I'm pretty sure we aren't expected to use this method 2 chapters into the book

thanks

You could draw a graph and find the area of the triangle formed by the line, the y-axis and some line x=a.

Vykan12 said:
You could draw a graph and find the area of the triangle formed by the line, the y-axis and some line x=a.

okay, to plot a velocity graph, do I just take the acceleration values at each point and use those as slopes?

so if the acceleration at 5 seconds is 7.5 m/s^2 then ill have a 7.5x + c tangent line?

thanks

Last edited:
Vykan12 said:

I am not sure what you mean.. if you wanted to find the acceleration at a specific point, how do you draw a triangle?

thanks

hello, I'm waiting :( I sincerely need help, thanks

Do you understand why the area of a rectangle in a graph of acceleration versus time is an estimation of instantaneous velocity?

Recall that for constant acceleration we have a = v/t so v= at.

I really can't explain this properly without the use of calculus. Maybe someone else can.

Vykan12 said:
Do you understand why the area of a rectangle in a graph of acceleration versus time is an estimation of instantaneous velocity?

Recall that for constant acceleration we have a = v/t so v= at.

I really can't explain this properly without the use of calculus. Maybe someone else can.

yes, because it's acceleration times time

okay, so do I take the area of a super small interval of the graph?

thanks

See the attachment I just posted.

Edit: Sorry, t should be 5 in that graph and a should be (1.5)(5) = 7.5.

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 715
Vykan12 said:
See the attachment I just posted.

Edit: Sorry, t should be 5 in that graph and a should be (1.5)(5) = 7.5.

thanks so much, I'll look at it when it's finished pending approval

how long does it take for a picture to pend approval? :|

Forget the attachment. I'll use image shack from now on.

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4853/areatriangle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, I see that you got 7.5, how did you get 7.5 = 18.75?

thanks

It should say (0.5)(5)(7.5) = 18.75. The equation got cut into 2 lines by accident.

Vykan12 said:
It should say (0.5)(5)(7.5) = 18.75. The equation got cut into 2 lines by accident.

:S weird.. I actually tried that before but I couldn't get the right answer, I guess I miscalculated something and threw out the whole plan... the constant acceleration formula works because its at the instant of 5 seconds right?

and I can plot the velocity versus time graph by just doing various points..et c?

thanks a lot

You're wrong on both counts. The constant acceleration formula cannot be used unless the graph of a versus t is a horizontal line. As for the v versus t graph, you need to compute the area from 0 to t_{1}, then from 0 to t_{2}, then from 0 to t_{3} and so on to plot various points v(1), v(2), v(3), etc.

Again, just wait for these kinematics topics to be covered in more detail in class or your book or wherever you're learning from.

Vykan12 said:
You're wrong on both counts. The constant acceleration formula cannot be used unless the graph of a versus t is a horizontal line. As for the v versus t graph, you need to compute the area from 0 to t_{1}, then from 0 to t_{2}, then from 0 to t_{3} and so on to plot various points v(1), v(2), v(3), etc.

Again, just wait for these kinematics topics to be covered in more detail in class or your book or wherever you're learning from.
"the constant acceleration formula cannot be used unless the graph of a versus t is a horizontal line. " oh right, you just did the area under the curve, I mistook that as the v = at formula
" As for the v versus t graph, you need to compute the area from 0 to t_{1}, then from 0 to t_{2}, then from 0 to t_{3} and so on to plot various points v(1), v(2), v(3), etc."

yeah that's what I meant by doing various points.. at least partially, since I was thinking about the wrong formula anyway

thanks a bunch! :)

What is an electron acceleration plot?

An electron acceleration plot is a graph that shows the change in the speed or energy of electrons over time. It is used to study the behavior of electrons in various systems, such as particle accelerators and plasma physics experiments.

How is an electron acceleration plot created?

An electron acceleration plot is created by measuring the speed or energy of electrons at different points in time and plotting these values on a graph. This can be done using specialized instruments, such as electron spectrometers, or through simulations.

What information can be obtained from an electron acceleration plot?

An electron acceleration plot can provide information about the acceleration mechanism, the energy distribution of electrons, and the efficiency of the acceleration process. It can also reveal any instabilities or non-linear effects in the system.

What are some common applications of electron acceleration plots?

Electron acceleration plots are used in a variety of fields, including particle physics, plasma physics, and materials science. They are also used in the design and optimization of electron beam devices, such as particle accelerators, electron microscopes, and laser plasma accelerators.

What are the limitations of electron acceleration plots?

Electron acceleration plots are limited by the accuracy and precision of the measurement or simulation techniques used. They may also be affected by external factors, such as noise and interference, which can obscure the true behavior of the electrons. Additionally, the interpretation of the data from an electron acceleration plot can be complex and may require advanced theoretical models.