Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Acceleration?

1. Mar 14, 2009 #1
    Now, I'm not a big city physicist like my client here, but if it please the scientific community, I'd reckon I'd like to get some electrons moving.

So here's my question:

How does a high-school student like myself accelerate electrons without access to any serious hardware stores? I read something about using an old television filament tube, and a few electron volts, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.

Thanks In Advance.

P.S. Keep in mind, I haven't tried this before, so don't get too complicated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2009 #2
    Turn on your old CRT TV and you got electrons being accelerated. The question is, what do you want to do with it?

4. Mar 15, 2009 #3
    I didn't do the stupid country roob post beggining for nothing. What can I do with electrons once there moving? I read about something involving a screen.

5. Mar 15, 2009 #4
    As electrons hit fluorescent material it emits light. This property can be used to form an image on a screen.

6. Mar 15, 2009 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you aren't sure what to do with the electrons once you get them moving, you probably aren't ready to accelerate them.

7. Mar 15, 2009 #6
    Just say why you want to accelerate them? there are many ways...

8. Mar 16, 2009 #7
    Put a pair of neodymium iron boron permanent magnets near the neck of the tv tube (CRT) and deflect them. [Beware of exposed high voltages]. The deflection of the spot in the center of the fluorescent screen is perpendicular to the magnetic field. If the magnets are strong enough, you may also be able to hold the magnets in front of the screen and deflect the electrons. If you can determine a priori what the polarity of the magnets are, can you predict which way the deflection is?

9. Mar 16, 2009 #8
    If you just look up particle accelerators on google and the basic ideas should make sense

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook