Accelerate Electrons: High-School Student Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses how a high-school student can accelerate electrons without access to serious hardware stores. One suggestion is to use an old television filament tube and a few electron volts. The purpose of this acceleration is to create an image on a fluorescent screen using the electrons' ability to emit light when hitting the material. Other suggestions include using magnets to deflect the electrons and researching particle accelerators for a better understanding of the concept.
ScienceNerd36
Now, I'm not a big city physicist like my client here, but if it please the scientific community, I'd reckon I'd like to get some electrons moving.

So here's my question:

How does a high-school student like myself accelerate electrons without access to any serious hardware stores? I read something about using an old television filament tube, and a few electron volts, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.

Thanks In Advance.

P.S. Keep in mind, I haven't tried this before, so don't get too complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Turn on your old CRT TV and you got electrons being accelerated. The question is, what do you want to do with it?

I didn't do the stupid country roob post beggining for nothing. What can I do with electrons once there moving? I read about something involving a screen.

As electrons hit fluorescent material it emits light. This property can be used to form an image on a screen.

If you aren't sure what to do with the electrons once you get them moving, you probably aren't ready to accelerate them.

Just say why you want to accelerate them? there are many ways...

Put a pair of neodymium iron boron permanent magnets near the neck of the tv tube (CRT) and deflect them. [Beware of exposed high voltages]. The deflection of the spot in the center of the fluorescent screen is perpendicular to the magnetic field. If the magnets are strong enough, you may also be able to hold the magnets in front of the screen and deflect the electrons. If you can determine a priori what the polarity of the magnets are, can you predict which way the deflection is?

If you just look up particle accelerators on google and the basic ideas should make sense

1. What is the purpose of "Accelerate Electrons: High-School Student Guide"?

The purpose of "Accelerate Electrons: High-School Student Guide" is to provide high school students with a comprehensive understanding of electron acceleration, including its principles, applications, and real-world examples. It aims to engage students in the field of physics and inspire them to pursue further studies or careers in this area.

2. Who is this guide intended for?

This guide is intended for high school students who have a basic understanding of physics and are interested in learning more about electron acceleration. It can also be used by teachers as a resource for lesson plans and activities.

3. What topics are covered in "Accelerate Electrons: High-School Student Guide"?

The guide covers topics such as the structure of an atom, electric fields, electromagnetic induction, and particle accelerators. It also discusses how electron acceleration is used in various fields, such as medical imaging, nuclear physics, and space exploration.

4. Are there any hands-on activities or experiments included in the guide?

Yes, the guide includes several hands-on activities and experiments that allow students to apply their knowledge of electron acceleration. These activities are designed to be easy to set up and use common household items.

5. Is any prior knowledge required to understand this guide?

Some prior knowledge of physics, particularly in the areas of electricity and magnetism, would be helpful in understanding this guide. However, the guide also provides a brief review of these concepts to help students catch up if needed.