Why Chlorine has Higher Electron Affinity than Fluorine

In summary, Chlorine has a higher electron affinity than fluorine due to its smaller radius, making it more difficult for approaching electrons to be attracted to the nucleus. This is because the nucleus is already crowded, making it harder for electrons to approach. This information can be useful for impressing a tutor in chemistry.
jimmy p
Gold Member
Just a quickie, why does Chlorine have a higher electron affinity than fluorine, when fluorine is the most electronegative element in the periodic table??

I asked my chem tutor but she didnt really explain much.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It's due to the smaller radius of flourine. Without going into too much detail, the smaller radius makes it a bit more difficult for approaching electron to be attracted to the nucleus since it is already crowded. Hope this helps.

but surely such a high electronegativity it wouldn't matter if they didnt get close as long as they attracted.

OK I am intrigued, what is "more detail" please? I am really getting into chemistry even if it doesn't excite me so I would like to know so i can impress the tutor.

1. Why does chlorine have a higher electron affinity than fluorine?

Chlorine has a higher electron affinity than fluorine because it has one more energy level than fluorine, allowing it to hold onto its electrons more tightly. Additionally, chlorine has a higher nuclear charge, which further increases its ability to attract and hold onto electrons.

2. What is electron affinity?

Electron affinity is the amount of energy released or absorbed when an atom gains an electron to form a negative ion. It is a measure of an atom's ability to attract and hold onto electrons.

3. How is electron affinity measured?

Electron affinity is measured in units of energy, typically in kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol). It is measured by the amount of energy released or absorbed when one mole of an atom in its gaseous state gains one electron to become a negatively charged ion.

4. What factors affect electron affinity?

The main factors that affect electron affinity are the nuclear charge and the number of energy levels in an atom. The higher the nuclear charge and the fewer the energy levels, the higher the electron affinity. Additionally, electron affinity tends to increase from left to right across a period in the periodic table.

5. Why is electron affinity important?

Electron affinity is important because it helps to predict the reactivity of elements and their ability to form chemical bonds. It also plays a role in determining the physical and chemical properties of elements, such as their melting and boiling points, and their ability to conduct electricity.