Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron and linear potential

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    For my current assignment we are investigating an electron incident on a linear potential. For the most part i am happy with my answers, however i am having trouble answering one question - how would one create a linear potential experimentally?

I know linear potentials exist in diodes, but i believe a vacuum would be required to investigate the incoming electron for the present problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean a V(x) that is linear in x, i.e. V(x) = ax + b where a and b are constants? The space between two parallel plates that are at different potentials has a linear potential function.
  4. Mar 30, 2008 #3

From a person that is a beginner in physics but wishes to know.
    according to the theory of big bang the universe was made by
    a point of energy that exploted, but isnt this going against
    the law of conservation of momentum which says that there
    have to be a source of matter a nucleous that will absorb
    both the energy and momentum?
  5. Mar 30, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the reply jtbell, yes, i do mean "a V(x) that is linear in x, i.e. V(x) = ax + b where a and b are constants?"

In order to investigate quantum mechanical tunneling of this electron is it possible to have an electron emmitted from one plate to the other with the plates in a vacuum? You see, while the potential is linear between said plates, i am investigating an electron incident such that it sees the potential as V(x)=ax, not incident perpindicular to the potential.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?