Electron & Neutron Absorbing Photons: Charge Explained

In summary, the charge of an electron, a neutron, and a photon are all related to their interactions through the electromagnetic force. This interaction is described mathematically, but there is no concrete mechanism that can be observed. Some interpretations suggest that a virtual particle is exchanged, but there is little difference mathematically. The neutron interacts with photons through its magnetic moment.
GarryS
Is it because of charge of an electron that it absobs a photon or even a neutron can absorb a photon?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you could say that. I think it is because all three of those particles interact via the electromagnetic force.

Drakkith said:
I guess you could say that. I think it is because all three of those particles interact via the electromagnetic force.

How do they actually interact? What's the mechanism involved?

GarryS said:
How do they actually interact? What's the mechanism involved?

The interaction is described using math, but if your looking for some underlying mechanism, something that "really" happens, then you'll be dissapointed, as science can only describe what happens as we observe and measure it. There are a few interpretations however, one of them being the view that a "virtual" particle is exchanged, however mathematically there is little or no difference between the interpretations to my knowledge.

See here for more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_interaction

The neutron couples with photons via its magnetic moment.

1. What is the difference between an electron and a neutron?

An electron is a subatomic particle with a negative charge that orbits the nucleus of an atom. A neutron is also a subatomic particle, but it has no charge and is found in the nucleus of an atom.

2. How do electrons and neutrons absorb photons?

Electrons and neutrons absorb photons through a process called photoelectric effect. When a photon of light hits an electron or neutron, it transfers its energy to the particle, causing it to become excited and move to a higher energy level.

3. What is the role of electrons and neutrons in charge?

Electrons and neutrons play a crucial role in charge as they are the building blocks of atoms. Electrons have a negative charge, while neutrons have no charge. The combination of these particles in an atom determines the overall charge of the atom.

4. How does charge explain the behavior of electrons and neutrons in an atom?

The concept of charge explains why electrons and neutrons behave the way they do in an atom. Electrons are negatively charged and are attracted to the positively charged nucleus. Neutrons, being neutral, do not interact with the nucleus and are responsible for holding the nucleus together through the strong nuclear force.

5. Can electrons and neutrons absorb an infinite amount of photons?

No, electrons and neutrons can only absorb a certain amount of photons depending on their energy levels. Once they reach their maximum energy level, they cannot absorb any more photons. This is known as the saturation point.