Electron and photons time of flight

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in times of flight for photons and electrons, specifically in astrophysical sources. The delay between pulses from these sources is related to the energy of the particles, but there are difficulties in obtaining this data. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using solar events as candidates for this comparison. However, the question is raised as to why this has to be limited to astrophysical sources and whether there is a specific aspect of relativity being considered.
lalbatros
Hello,

I would be interrested by some references comparing times of flight for photons and electrons.
Ideally, I would like to see that for different energies.
I would also prefer astrophysical sources, since the huge distances should increase the precision.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Photons have no mass, and travel at c. Electrons have a small mass and can travel at any speed less than c. Perhaps you meant electrons from some specific source.

Let's consider massive particles and photons emitted at the same time from a very distant astronomical source.
The delay between these pulse should be related to the energy of the particles.
I wonder if such data would be available.
In principle this should match the E(v) relation from Special Relativity.

However, there are difficulties:

- charged particles are likely much more dispersed than neutral particles, but they may have longed lifetimes, e-, p+
- neutrons have a lifetime of only 15 min roughly, they could not come from very far

Maybe solar events could be canidates?

Wikipedia says that solar wind is 400-750 km/s. That is 0.25% of c. So it would take 400 times as long for electrons from solar wind to travel as photons from the Sun.

lalbatros said:
Hello,

I would be interrested by some references comparing times of flight for photons and electrons.
Ideally, I would like to see that for different energies.
I would also prefer astrophysical sources, since the huge distances should increase the precision.

Thanks

Er... why does this have to be "astrophysical sources"? In a particle accelerator, when an arcing occurs during, say, conditioning, you always get the light first and then the burst of charge later.

Is there something that you are trying to get at? I mean, it appears as if this is rather obvious and isn't even a "relativity" issue.

Zz.

1. What is the time of flight for an electron or photon?

The time of flight for an electron or photon is the amount of time it takes for them to travel from one point to another. This can be influenced by factors such as the speed of the electron or photon and any obstacles or materials it may encounter during its journey.

2. How is the time of flight measured for electrons and photons?

The time of flight for electrons and photons can be measured using specialized equipment such as time-of-flight spectrometers. These instruments use electric and magnetic fields to measure the time it takes for the particles to travel a certain distance and calculate their velocity.

3. What factors can affect the time of flight for electrons and photons?

The time of flight for electrons and photons can be influenced by various factors such as the energy of the particle, the medium it is traveling through, and any external forces acting on it. In addition, the presence of other particles or obstacles in the path of the electron or photon can also affect its time of flight.

4. Why is the time of flight important in studying electrons and photons?

The time of flight is important in studying electrons and photons because it provides valuable information about their properties and behavior. By measuring the time of flight, scientists can determine the speed, energy, and interactions of these particles, which can help in understanding their role in various physical processes and phenomena.

5. Can the time of flight for electrons and photons be manipulated?

Yes, the time of flight for electrons and photons can be manipulated through various methods such as changing the energy or direction of the particles, or by altering the medium they are traveling through. This can be useful in controlling the behavior of electrons and photons in experiments and applications such as particle accelerators and optical communication systems.