1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron and positron

1. Jul 28, 2009 #1
    A positron is an elementary particle identical to an electron except that its charge is . An electron and a positron can rotate about their center of mass as if they were a dumbbell connected by a massless rod. What is the orbital frequency for an electron and a positron 2.00nm apart?

My Approach:
    I treated the electron and positron as a system with a torque.
    I found that the torque = pEsintheta = qsEsintheta = (1.60*10^-19)(2*10^-9)(1.94*10^9)
    but I don't know theta
    HELP!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2009 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi imafam,

This is the formula for the torque on a dipole in an external field E, which is not what you have here.

Instead, think in terms of Newton's law. Draw a force diagram for one of the particles. Also, the particles are going in a circular path; what do you know that is true about circular motion, that you can use here in Newton's law Fnet=ma?

4. Jul 28, 2009 #3
    That Fnet = mv^2/r

5. Jul 28, 2009 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

That's right; once you plug in what Fnet is for this case, you'll have an equation with r and v in it.

From that, you can determine the period of the orbit, which is just how long it takes for the particle to go in a complete circle. And then the frequency is just the reciprocal of the period.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook