Electron Angular Momentum

In summary, the system of two electrons with l = 1 and s = 1/2 has possible values of L = 2h(2)1/2, -2h(2)1/2, or 0 for the total orbital angular momentum and S = h(3)1/2, -h(3)1/2, or 0 for the spin orbital angular momentum. The possible values for J, the total orbital angular momentum, are 2h(2)1/2 + h(3)1/2, 2h(2)1/2 - h(3)1/2, or 0. The individual quantum numbers for the total angular momentum of each electron
javit27
1. Here's the problem:
Consider a system of two electrons, each with l = 1 and s = 1/2.
(A) What are the possible values of the quantum number for the total orbital angular momentum L = L1 + L2?
(B) What are the possible values of the quantum number for the spin orbital angular momentum S = S1 + S2?
(C) Using the above results, find the possible values of the quantum number for the total orbital angular momentum J = L + S.
(D) What are the possible individual quantum numbers j1 and j2 for the total angular momentum of each electron separately?
(E) Use the results of part (D) to compute the allowed values of j from the possible combinations of j1 and j2. Do your results agree with those of part (C)?

Homework Equations

L = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE][l(l + 1)]1/2
S = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE][s(s + 1)]1/2
J = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE][j(j + 1)]1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

(A) since l = 1,
L1 = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE][l(l + 1)]1/2 = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE](2)1/2
I think this can be positive or negative, so
L = 2[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE](2)1/2, or -2[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE](2)1/2, or 0.

(B) I did this the same as (A) except with 1/2 instead of 1. I got:
S = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE](3)1/2, or -[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE](3)1/2, or 0

(C) I assume just add up all the possibilities for L and S

(D) j = l + s or j = l - s
so, j = 1/2 or j = 3/2

(E) total j = 1 or 2 of 3
so J = [j (j + 1)]1/2
so, J = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE](21/2)
or [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE](61/2)
or 2[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE](31/2)

Basically I'm really unsure about (A) and (B). I have more confidence in (D) and (E), and (C) should be easy once I get the first two.

Physics news on Phys.org
A) L = 2h(2)1/2, -2h(2)1/2, 0B) S = h(3)1/2, -h(3)1/2, 0C) J = 2h(2)1/2 + h(3)1/2, 2h(2)1/2 - h(3)1/2, 0D) j1 = 1/2 or j2 = 3/2E) J = h(21/2), h(61/2), 2h(31/2)

1. What is electron angular momentum?

Electron angular momentum, also known as orbital angular momentum, is a property of an electron that describes its rotational motion around an atom's nucleus. It is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values.

2. How is electron angular momentum related to an electron's energy?

According to the Bohr model of the atom, an electron's angular momentum is directly related to its energy. The higher the angular momentum, the higher the energy level of the electron.

3. How is electron angular momentum measured?

Electron angular momentum is measured in units of Planck's constant divided by 2π, also known as h-bar. This unit is often written as ℏ.

4. What is the significance of electron angular momentum?

Electron angular momentum plays a crucial role in the behavior of atoms and molecules, as it affects their electronic and magnetic properties. It also helps determine the shape and orientation of atomic orbitals.

5. Can electron angular momentum change?

Yes, electron angular momentum can change through interactions with other particles or through external forces, such as electromagnetic fields. However, it can only change in discrete steps due to its quantized nature.