Electron Beam Manipulation

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have an engineering problem that I have to solve.

Imagine that we have two electron beams, one originates from a heading of 0, coming toward point A. A line between the origin of beam 1 and point A would create a line of heading 0. Now a second beam, beam 2, originates from a heading of 45*. Such that a line between the origin of beam 2 and point A would create a line with a heading of 45*. Both of these lines converge at point A, and have to be manipulated to merge together, and exit on a path which is parallel to that of the line between the origin of beam 1, and point A.

Any ideas on how this can be done? If you cannot understand my explanation feel free to ask further questions.

Thank you

Answers and Replies

Deflect them with magnets . Could you maybe draw a picture of where the beams are , and where you want them to go .

I think what you're after is some type of collimator lens; be it optical, magnetic, etc...
Such devices take varying(though restricted) angles of incident energy and cause them to become parallel in the output.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
What you describe, the way you describe it, is impossible. At point A, you will have some electrons which need to be redirected and others that will not - and no way to sort them. There are ways of solving this problem, but they are rather more complex than what you describe.

Starting construction on your homemade accelerator before you had the design issues understood was foolish. Foolishness when constructing a homemade accelerator is dangerous, and PF does not permit discussion of dangerous activities.