1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Beam

1. Sep 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a TV set, an electron beam moves with horizontal velocity of 2.5 x 107 across the cathode ray tube and strikes the screen, 40 cm away.

The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.

How far does the electron beam fall while traversing this distance? Answer in units of m.

2. Relevant equations

x = voxt

vy = voy - gt

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for t:

x = voxt

.04 = 2.5 x 107
    t = 1.6 x 10-9

Then I plugged t into vy = voy - gt.

vy = 0 - (9.8)(1.6x10-9)
    vy = -1.568x10-8

Now I am not sure if I have the correct values plugged in because I do not think I am supposed to come up with a negative answer. I did draw a picture but am not sure if my math corresponds to the picture.

Any suggestions are appreciated,
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

vy = voy - gt
    Check this formula.
    If vy and g are in the same direction, they must have the same sigh.

4. Sep 6, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will think about it while I sleep and report back tomorrow morning.

5. Sep 7, 2009 #4
    I figured out my mistake. I divided the 40 cm distance by 1000 instead of 100 which gave me the incorrect time. I solved for time again and plugged that into y = 1/2gt^2 which gave me the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook